lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
bar197
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 93 FE290 running hot

My 93 with the FE290 seems to be running a little on the warm side. I noticed tonight after riding the kids around the plastic on the body around the inspection cover was warped and mis shaped. Upon further inspection this plastic was super hot to the touch. I then raised the seat up and it seemed way hotter than what I would expect. I know this is an air cooled engine and to be honest I have never paid much attention to how hot it actually gets after a little bit of running. But I have never noticed the plastic being deformed due to heat. Has anyone else run into this before? I really don't want to do any damage to the engine due to ignorance. But maybe I just haven't paid good enough attention. It may be nothing. I'm just looking for some input
bar197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 93 FE290 running hot

You may need to take the fan cover off and clean it. They build up dirt and that slows down air flow. Also ive seen mice build nest around the cylinder head also. While your in there degrease the head and block. Hard to cool with years of built up oil grime. Also check the plug and make sure its not white. Running lean will cause it to run hot.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
toad92
Not Yet Wild

I'm having the same problem very hot melting the body and fan cover , took it all apart and cleaned the fin but was not dirty ajust valves still the same no speed or revs , so I have taken it apart to find the problem ring gaps are crazy wide like 5 mm top and 8 mm on second and head was built up with carbon . does anybody have the correct specs for the fe290 end gaps and piston gap ?
toad92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't have my book with me but I think it should be around .020 thousand. maybe .010 on piston clearance. Ive never seen rings wear that bad.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
bar197
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took the fan shroud off and it was clean as a whistle. I cant see anything obvious but I did see what looks like an oil leak possibly around the valve cover. I have searched extensivley and have found nothing on these engines overheating/running hot. Maybe I just need to not worry about it and run it till something happens.
bar197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just run 40w oil and drive the h--- out of it.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Romrok
Not Yet Wild

One possibility, which I doubt because so many more folk would have an issue, is ethanol fuel making it run lean.

Rom
Romrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

The only thing that comes to mind is exhaust restriction.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car