lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2024, 08:33 AM   #1
ecudude
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 DS Hard Start/No Start

2000 DS gas cart.

So far I have replaced the following: New carb, new fuel pump, new ignition switch, new spark plug, new vacuum lines.

The Problem: If the cart sits overnight it will not start, the cart will turn over and over but will not fire. I'll put it in maintenance mode, pull the spark plug and ground the plug to the head to verify good spark(it does) while I cycle the motor over/blow gas vapor out. Reinstall plug and it starts right up and runs great all day.

IMO, it seems like the cylinder is getting flooded with gas and drowning the plug( I do get a gas smell/wetness from the plug when removed). I have adjusted the carb idle screw but that hasn't made the problem worse or better. The only other thing I can think of is I am not getting good enough spark and to replace the ignitor (I have a new one).

When I ground the spark plug to the head, I get good spark but I don't know if it is sufficient enough to ignite the gas vapors in the cylinder at initial startup.

When the cart is running, I am getting good battery output, verified by voltmeter.

Cart is always parked inside so temperature should not be an issue.

Any thoughts?
ecudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2000 DS Hard Start/No Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecudude View Post
2000 DS gas cart.

So far I have replaced the following: New carb, new fuel pump, new ignition switch, new spark plug, new vacuum lines.

The Problem: If the cart sits overnight it will not start, the cart will turn over and over but will not fire. I'll put it in maintenance mode, pull the spark plug and ground the plug to the head to verify good spark(it does) while I cycle the motor over/blow gas vapor out. Reinstall plug and it starts right up and runs great all day.

IMO, it seems like the cylinder is getting flooded with gas and drowning the plug( I do get a gas smell/wetness from the plug when removed). I have adjusted the carb idle screw but that hasn't made the problem worse or better. The only other thing I can think of is I am not getting good enough spark and to replace the ignitor (I have a new one).

When I ground the spark plug to the head, I get good spark but I don't know if it is sufficient enough to ignite the gas vapors in the cylinder at initial startup.

When the cart is running, I am getting good battery output, verified by voltmeter.

Cart is always parked inside so temperature should not be an issue.

Any thoughts?
Yes, your carb is flooding the engine as you suspected. And just a reminder, the fuel flooding top of your position does not stay there, it leaks down into your crankcase. I have no doubt that the crankcase is overfilled and has a lot of fuel in it.

Even though you park your cart indoors, there still is a temperature change from daytime to nighttime. If the vent on your fuel tank is plugged, when the fuel gets warm, it will create pressure inside of the tank. When you park your cart with the vent plugged on the fuel tank, the pressure will overcome the carb float needle and flood your engine.

Or the hose that vents the top of the carb is plugged or kinked and is causing the float to be depressed and allowing fuel into the engine when it is not running.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:46 PM   #3
ecudude
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
Yes, your carb is flooding the engine as you suspected. And just a reminder, the fuel flooding top of your position does not stay there, it leaks down into your crankcase. I have no doubt that the crankcase is overfilled and has a lot of fuel in it.

Even though you park your cart indoors, there still is a temperature change from daytime to nighttime. If the vent on your fuel tank is plugged, when the fuel gets warm, it will create pressure inside of the tank. When you park your cart with the vent plugged on the fuel tank, the pressure will overcome the carb float needle and flood your engine.

Or the hose that vents the top of the carb is plugged or kinked and is causing the float to be depressed and allowing fuel into the engine when it is not running.

Richard

This makes a lot of sense. I went ahead and threw the new coil in. The old one was well worn and was not gapped correctly. I'm getting a lot cleaner/brighter spark with the new one in.

When I went to start it up, it was immediately flooded. Pulled the plug and it was dripping with gas. Blew out a lot of gas vapor/liquid and eventually got it started and running.

Went and checked the vent and promptly broke the nipple off when I got it out. It seemed not to be clogged but now I need to order a new one anyway. Hose wasn't clogged either. It's the original vent so probably was sticking intermittently.

I did replace the hose on the topside of the carb as it split soon after I bought it. I'll pull it back off to make sure its not blocked.

I did pull the dipstick and could not smell any gas on it but coincidentally when we have been running it hard/fast around the neighborhood the oil light will flick on/off intermittently. I'm running 10w30 and its fresh oil. I guess I can always change it again if the gas is the issue.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:15 PM   #4
Bassdeer
Getting Wild
Club Car

How much gas in the tank? Had a problem with my 2008, when the tank is full to top it would flood out. I just keep it half or less and have no problems. Not sure why it would do that, but it did.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:35 PM   #5
ecudude
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
How much gas in the tank? Had a problem with my 2008, when the tank is full to top it would flood out. I just keep it half or less and have no problems. Not sure why it would do that, but it did.
Probably 3/4 or a little more. Sounds like you might have a sticking vent as well. Less gas in the tank, more volume of air etc.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:51 AM   #6
ecudude
Not Yet Wild

New tank vent installed. Didn't fix it. Drove it all day Sunday and made it back to the house and parked it. Went back out a few minutes later and it was stone cold dead. Battery read 11.7volts but when the pedal was pushed down, it dropped to 4.5volts. Pushed it back into the garage and let it sit on a charger overnight. Got back up to around 85%.

I contacted the guy I bought it from who buys/sells/repairs a lot of club cars. He told me to bring it to him and he would fix it or refund me.

Dropped it off this morning so we will see. I've done everything I can think of to it to fix the issues. It will probably be some stupid little thing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car