lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
LDOGGYDIZZLE
Not Yet Wild

Default Steering slop 98 EZGO Gas

Hello!

First post and a 98 EZGO Gas owner as of last weekend.

Long story short. I bought a beautiful cart, painted a dark blue, nice and clean underneath, clean oil, spindle lift, 22" tires........ Perfect starter for the a-arm big block buggie I have in mind. So, as soon as I got home I drove it around the house and it was pretty obvious there was a problem with the steering. It would dart in any direction because theres about 3" of slop in the steering. There is no slop in any of the tie rods, ball joints etc. The steering wheel is tight. The hubs are fine.

Its the steering rack. Not only is there a mile of slop inside, the main pivot point for the arm has a ton of slop too. At high speed it will make the bravest man want to slow down as it darts to the left and you try to correct with 3" of steering wheel nothingness.

A complete replacment rack is pretty pricey unit.

My questions:

1) Do you guys agree? Past experiences? Solutions?

2) I noticed EZGO updated/revised the steering system in 2001.5. Looks like a much better unit, exactly like a car. I also noticed the Stretch A-arm kit for 2001 & up INCLUDES a steering rack.

The question is this:

Can I convert to the 2001 steering? Will I need anything else beside the Stretch kit? Is it worth it?
LDOGGYDIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
blakehenry00
Gone Wild

Default Re: Steering slop and stuff..........

If it is like my 99 DCS i know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have looked and I have not seen a way to fix it. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the only way to correct the "free-play" of the steering is by replacing the steering system.
blakehenry00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

My personal vote is to get the Strech Plastics kit. It's hard to beat good steering. The system replacement would cost you around $500 or more. When comparing a new system that doesn't handle all that well to a new system that does for a little more money, it's almost a no-brainer to me. The 2001.5+ system handles pretty good, but if you're going to lift it anyway, there is no sense in buying that and then buying the Strech lift.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Those assemblies are major $$$. The later model is cheaper but I'm not sure of all of the differences or whats needed to convert. I'm sure its possible if you have fabrication skills.

This may help a little.
OEM part# 70314-G02 (whole assembly)
Fits 1994-2001.5 gas and electric EZGO Medalist/TXT models
as fits 1996-present gas EZGO Workhorse ST350 models
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
LDOGGYDIZZLE
Not Yet Wild

So a pre 2001 EZGO can convert to the 2001 steering with just the addition of this kit?

Seems to me there would have to be a different column shaft thats splined and with a yoke. The rest seems like its in the kit. The only other thing that might need to be changed/different are the spindels.

I ask this, because adding a stretch kit for a '98 would not fix the problem. (But it sure would look nice though!!! ) This kit does not include a replacment rack and retains the old style steering system.

I assume the 2001 and up style steering system is better.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
LDOGGYDIZZLE
Not Yet Wild

Ive found the OEM replacment boxes, new, for less than $500. But add that to a stretch kit... you see my point when the 2001 and up kit is only $100 more.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You might want to check the flanged bearing in the steering assembly they wear out and make the steering sloppy!!!!

tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

You can also buy the rack gear as well as the pinion along with the bushing tungpo listed, its alot cheaper than replacing the whole box.
As far as converting it to new style steering you have to change the frame where the column bolts on, the column itself, the rack and pinion, front axle, and spindles.
It way more work than just bolting a few parts on and not at all worth it when you can just rebuild your streering box thats on the cart now.

Last edited by ruredy; 09-04-2007 at 06:23 AM..
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
LDOGGYDIZZLE
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replys guys, keep em coming!

Quote:
As far as converting it to new style steering you have to change the frame where the column bolts on, the column itself, the rack and pinion, front axle, and spindles.
So, with a purchase of a 2001 & up Stretch kit Ill also need a 01 column shaft and spindles.

But....

Quote:
...you have to change the frame where the column bolts on
Meaning the way it bolts to the floor by the pedals is different?

Ok, it does look easier to just repair the box. But I was wondering if the new style is better, tighter, more durable etc.

As for the "flanged bearing in the steering assy." Do you mean the large gold bushing in the pivot arm? Or the one at the bottom of the column shaft above the pinon?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO