lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Johann
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default '84 Truckster clutch

I've got an '84 Truckster that needs a new clutch. I have never replaced a clutch, but I am going to try it. My problem is I can't get started because I cannot get the drive shaft off (probably not a good omen.) Do I remove the flange at the rear of the shaft, or is it possible to remove the nuts that attach the u joint yoke at both the front and rear of the shaft? The manual simply assumes I can remove the thing. Any information would be appreciated
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: '84 Truckster clutch

I haven't had the drive shaft out of my 1987 Truckster, but usually it's easiest in cars and trucks to remove the bolts that hold the half bridge over the bearings of the rear U joint. Then the rear of the drive shaft can be dropped and then the front spline end of the drive shaft can be pulled out of the transmission. Expect oil to run out of the transmission when you do this, so a pan to catch the oil and a big rag to wrap around the spline shaft on the front of the drive shaft to keep dirt out of it. The U joint bearing caps can also fall off and get dirt in them if you don't take steps to wrap tape or something around them to keep them in place after you pull them free of the yoke on the differential. If you don't do this, they will fall in the dirt and they are difficult to clean and re-grease. Set the drive shaft aside with both ends wrapped to protect them, and don't loose the bolts, washers, and bearing covers.

You are then going to need to pull the transmission to get to the clutch. There are two manuals that cover the 80's vintage Trucksters. Both are available for download on the www.sillylittlecars.com website. Look under "Manuals" and then click on the text "shop and maintenance manuals". The 826767 main manual isn't very helpful because it mostly contains part numbers and exploded views of the body and sheet metal that is no longer available. The 826767 Supplement contains OMC motor information as well as information about the rest of ther drive train and steering. Many model numbers are covered in these manuals such as both the 3 and 4 wheel versions, the police version. etc. Both manuals are in pdf Acrobat format for easy download and printing. On the front panel below the dashboard on the passenger side is a metal label that contains part numbers for the clutch and other related parts. If you have this, it should save you considerable time. To the left of the steering whel, also on this same panel below the dash is another metal label with the complete model number. Following the dash in the number is the 2 digit month and then the 2 digit year of manufacture. Cushman made many different models every year and each model was made for several years with only slight differences from the first to the last made of each model. It's very confusing and nobody still around seems to know exactly what this all means.

Steering and drive train parts are still available, and many are in your local auto parts stores, but the stores have no cross reference to Cushman. If you can find an older guy who has worked in the auto parts business, and you show him your broken part, he will likely walk down an aisle in the parts store and pick what you need off the shelf without the numbers. Cushman used a lot of automotive parts to make these Trucksters, but made or had made all of the body parts and these are what is no longer available, except from a wrecked or parted out old Truckster.

Clutch parts will likely require ordering from www.directparts.com. They are likely for a compact car of similar age, but I doubt you will find a match, except by ordering the Cushman part # from Direct Parts or by maybe having new pads applied to your existing clutch, and I don't know who does this. It's always a good idea to replace the throw out bearing whenever you replace a clutch, mostly so you don't have to do all this again when the bearing goes bad next year.

I check in here almost every day, usually in the mornings. If you think I can help further, just ask here.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumb novice question
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts