lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
kopyone
Not Yet Wild

Default Mystery Cart with running issues

first, this is the first golf cart I've ever had.

The body has been painted and i am unable to find any labels on it anywhere except for the engine and starter/generator. So i don't know the make, model or year of it.

It has a 2 cycle 244cc Robin engine, but the model number is rubbed off of it.

It seems to run fairly well at full throttle and starts easily, but at take-off and low speed it surges terribly and seems to backfire occasionally. it basically cant be ran at low speeds.

Any help identifying the thing, and also what the issue could be would be very helpful. ill upload a few pictures of it.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.JPG (184.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.JPG (162.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0094.JPG (178.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0095.JPG (134.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.JPG (79.5 KB, 0 views)
kopyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Mystery Cart with running issues

Well I can tell you its an EZ Go Marathon...but that's about it...There should be a tag stamped to the body right by where the passengers left foot would be near the floorboard if it wasn't removed already...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Your low speed surging is from the carburetor opening before the start microswitch is energized so you are actually using the kill circuit to control low speeds.
Make sure when the pedal is not pressed the carb butterfly is closing all of the way in the carb, not just hitting the idle screw.
Then, turn your key off and listen closely to hear the micro "click" before the carb throttle starts to open.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #4
kopyone
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, I’ll definitely check that out…

I was able to find the serial number panel, it had been painted over and was hard to see.

But it looks like it’s an 82.

One other thing I noticed is there is only one cable going to the throttle linkage on the carb. In everything I can find on google there looks like there should be two. This one cable it has runs underneath the floorboard maybe up to the gas pedal? Kind of hard to see (getting dark outside). And when I press the gas pedal the throttle linkage just moves a tiny bit and that’s all… it doesn’t seem to open all the way out.

I can take pictures or video tomorrow if it would help.

Thanks!
kopyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

FYI: That carb defaults to wide open: the "return spring" holds the throttle open, not closed. The pull on the cable from the accelerator pedal's movement closes the throttle when you let off the pedal. It's opposite of what most would expect. If that cable has stretched or loosened over time it may only be "closing" to about 1/2 throttle.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts