lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 Par Car fan key sheared

I have a sheared key on my fan in an 86 Columbia. I've looked all over forums and googled it but can't seem to find any information on parts or how to repair it. I was planning to at least replace the crank seals but need to repair this before going any further. Please help.
mmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 86 Par Car fan key sheared

Maybe I can help, but I need more data. First thing, my info on that year is sketchy at best. Did it damage the key way on the fan or damage the crank shaft or just the key itself? I need to know the extent of the damage before recommending a repair.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

It didn't damage the crankshaft. The key sheared off of the plate that screws onto the fan. It looks like the key is made as a part of the round plate that the fan screws on to. It is not a separate key like you would find on a mower engine crankshaft.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

Vin 5k21127c6
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If the key is on the plate the fan is mounted on and made in the hole that fits on the crank, I would measure the slot in the crank and take the plate to a machine shop and have a keyway machined in the plate then use a standard key to mount the plate.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

Great idea. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
When the cart was running it had little power and ran slow. Would you recommend putting in new crank seals while it's torn down? If so, what is the best way to get the clutch off? Is there anything else you would recommend while I've gpt it torn down? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If the seals are easy to get to I would change them. I am not very familiar with the later model carts and have to refer to the parts list to check them out. I will try to getthe time to check it out.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

I've looked at the manual and it doesn't look too difficult. I will put in new seals and post back later. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 86 Par Car fan key sheared

Got the seals replaced and it wasn't too difficult. I'm taking the fan hub to a machinist to look at. He thinks he can help. I'll post again after that happens.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
mmattingly
Not Yet Wild

Got the fan hub back and reinstalled the engine tonight. It fired right up but I don't know how to set the timing in reverse. I saw an earlier post advising to go to the HD section to see a post on using a timing stop. Can anyone tell me how to get to that post?

Also, the carb was spitting gas back out the throat into the breather and flooding the engine. I could use some advice on what may remedy that problem. Thanks for the previous help,and thanks in advance for any help you may give on these other issues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar