lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
gamewiz724
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo stops and goes

Just bought a used 2006 EZGO 36 Volt TXT PDS. It is lifted and has larger tires, the problem I am having is after riding around the cart stops. It mainly happens if your riding for a while then stop and try to move again. I tested the batteries and they are fully charged and when you press on the pedal I can hear a click from what I would guess is the solenoid (is that correct?). However the cart does not move, if I shut it off for a while it will move again. Every time it happens you have to wait a longer period of time before you can drive again. I also noticed if you disconnect then reconnect the batteries it begins to work instantly. The batteries are new and it looks like all the wires are connected, could this be the controller is bad?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Pete
gamewiz724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Ezgo stops and goes

welcome to BGW Pete

it sure does sound like the controller
Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like the solenoid to me. The coil in the solenoid may be getting hot and breaking down causing the contacts to open.
good luck!
cashfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
If your cart is having problems running at a constant speed or is performing erratically, then you should troubleshoot the controller to find out what the problem is.

Step 1
Switch cart to "Tow-maintenance" mode by flipping the switch under seat. Disconnect the black battery cable (negative) from the battery, open the cover to the speed controller and then reconnect the negative battery cable.
Step 2
Inspect all wires to ensure that they are attached and well connected, there are no breaks, corrosion or interference with the wires. Take the reading of the battery voltage by connecting the positive and negative probes to the battery. Write the voltage reading down.
Step 3
Test the solenoid to see if this is the problem. Place the positive probe on the solenoid post that is closest to the battery. The reading should be equal to battery's voltage. If not, there is a wiring issue in the solenoid. Connect the positive probe to the other post and take a reading. If the voltage is not at least three volts fewer than the voltage reading for the battery, the resistor must be replaced. If you have a volt reading equal to the battery volts, the solenoid is the issue.
Step 4
Check the power output from the controller by connecting the negative probe to the controller's M terminal and positive to the B+ terminal. Press the accelerator and watch to see if the voltage increases. It should increase from a reading of 0 to the full voltage of the battery. If the motor is not turning, the problem may be in the directional switch or motor. The controller is bad and must be replaced if there is no voltage.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

with key off go from neutral to reverse 5 times count the beeps that is ur personality plug then go ride cart when it doesnt operate properly then there should be more beeps count them then get back at us.
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I hope that isn't the reason the guy sold it!
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaman View Post
I hope that isn't the reason the guy sold it!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
gamewiz724
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
f your cart is having problems running at a constant speed or is performing erratically, then you should troubleshoot the controller to find out what the problem is.

Step 1
Switch cart to "Tow-maintenance" mode by flipping the switch under seat. Disconnect the black battery cable (negative) from the battery, open the cover to the speed controller and then reconnect the negative battery cable.
Step 2
Inspect all wires to ensure that they are attached and well connected, there are no breaks, corrosion or interference with the wires. Take the reading of the battery voltage by connecting the positive and negative probes to the battery. Write the voltage reading down.
Step 3
Test the solenoid to see if this is the problem. Place the positive probe on the solenoid post that is closest to the battery. The reading should be equal to battery's voltage. If not, there is a wiring issue in the solenoid. Connect the positive probe to the other post and take a reading. If the voltage is not at least three volts fewer than the voltage reading for the battery, the resistor must be replaced. If you have a volt reading equal to the battery volts, the solenoid is the issue.
Step 4
Check the power output from the controller by connecting the negative probe to the controller's M terminal and positive to the B+ terminal. Press the accelerator and watch to see if the voltage increases. It should increase from a reading of 0 to the full voltage of the battery. If the motor is not turning, the problem may be in the directional switch or motor. The controller is bad and must be replaced if there is no voltage.
Ok so I followed these steps and heres my results:
The battery measures 38.85volts, then the battery negative to the closest solenoid post measured 38.85volts, and finally the battery negative to the further solenoid post measure 36.95volts. Does this mean all the components are good or since the further post didn't measure exactly 3volts less I need a new resistor?

Next, I measured the controllers terminals but I don't have an M only B- B+ and A1 so I measured B+ to A1, is this correct? Which as I pushed the accelerator went all the way up to 38volts.

Also when I clicked neutral to reverse five times I got one beep. I tried it a several time later and nothing happened. After disconnecting the power while doing the above tests I retried the neutral reverse thing and got one beep again. What do the beeps mean?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
gamewiz724
Not Yet Wild

Ohh I also checked all the wires and connections and they seem ok except I noticed a little corrosion on the motor controller connection, see the picture. Does this look like I problem it didn't seem that major, going to clean it and reconnect.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

it means u have a all terrain personality plug u also need to switch the main cable from b- on controller to b- on batt pack there shouldnt be any blue green stuff there. when u did the beep thing u need to drive cart and make it fail so that u get more beeps if it fails
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elecrical, ezgo, stops
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO