lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Jaymbro
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 won’t climb hills

Yamaha G9 won’t climb hills
Hello all I’m at the end of my expertise (which is a short road unfortunately). Anyways I’ve got myself a Gas 94 Yamaha G9, it’s lifted with 23 inch tires. I recently did a complete motor rebuild, new bearings, seals, valves, rings and piston. She runs strong. I completely bypassed the governor and went straight to the carb. I also put new primary clutch, carburetor and replaced both belts. Whew that was a lot.
My question now is, if I stop on a hill it won’t proceed. On flat ground or a slight incline it will go but it starts out almost like the belt is slipping or like the tires are burning out with out traction. It just won’t go. My secondary clutch isn’t brand new but it’s not that old. I just can’t remember exactly when I put it only. Last year or year before. Anyways I took it apart last night and inspected the spring and everything seems to be in order. The ramps look fine and the spring is not broken. I clocked it to c3 to try and get more torque but still nothing. If I push on the top of the belt trying to pinch the belt together the rear clutch opens up fairly easily allowing the belt to go down towards the bottom, this doesn’t seem right to me. I would assume it would be a lot hard to open that clutch up? Am I wrong here? I orderd a new heavy duty spring to see if that helps but in the meantime I thought I’d throw it out there to see if you guys had any advice.
I believe it’s in the secondary clutch but it all seems fine and like I said it’s fairly new so I just don’t see how it can be failing. Could it be my rear end? Just seems unlikely. Rear hubs aren’t growling or anything but that’s about all I’ve checked.
Anyways I’m a blowhard and that was winded I know but just tired of scratching my head, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I really enjoy this forum and reading how all you guys help everyone. Pretty cool.
Thanks all. Josh
Jaymbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 won’t climb hills

So the first thing I would do is put the cart up on jackstands and do a run test. Watch the clutches operate. Take a video if you can and post it on YouTube. Basically you want to see if the primary clutch is engaging. The primary clutch is responsible for getting the cart moving. As the primary clutch engages it's sheaves pull closed via centrifugal force, which pulls the drive belt down into the secondary. The secondary clutch spring is what controls the upshift and the backshift. Give that a try and see what you find.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
Jaymbro
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Slonomo, I actually played this morning and noticed my secondary doesn’t close all the way, belt acts like it gets stuck halfway back up if that makes sense. I’ve got the heavy duty spring coming, the thing is there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with my clutch and spring now. Idk. Kinda weird really. Almost like the spring is very weak I guess.

I’ve jacked the cart up and clutches seem to be operating fine with no load. It’s under load that seem to keep the belt from going back to the top on the secondary clutch.

So if the ramps are fine and the sheaths seem fine to me would the spring be all I need?

Thanks again
Jaymbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

While you have the driven clutch off buy the spacer that goes between the clutch and the transaxle. May not need it but would be a good idea. It protects the seal on the transaxle if the inner c clip fails. Looks like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C0F598AC-3843-48D1-BE2C-4D18B9286C83.jpeg (25.7 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
While you have the driven clutch off buy the spacer that goes between the clutch and the transaxle. May not need it but would be a good idea. It protects the seal on the transaxle if the inner c clip fails. Looks like this
Note: this collar replaces the snap ring, not protects if snap ring failed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha