lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Low speed sputtering, at a loss

So guys I have this low speed sputtering going on that is driving me crazy. The cart is an early/mid 80's marathon with a robin 2pg in it. The engine was freshly rebuilt, piston all new gaskets, ultra gray seal on the case split, new crank bearings, I'm currently running my break in tank at 40:1. The cart runs great all around except with the throttle barely pressed, which is how I generally run around the campground. I have 3 carburetors, the original Makuni and two cheap Chinese (one brand new) it seems that no matter what I do to the air screw it isn't affecting this sputter. The choke does make it worse so I'm thinking if it is fuel I need to be leaner at low speed. Do you guys have ANY suggestions I was going to check timing tomorrow, I can't imagine this is it since I'm running good everywhere else but I'm kinda out of ideas...
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Low speed sputtering, at a loss

If you look at page J-6 of the manual, you will see that there is no adjustment on the carburetor.

Maybe try running without the air cleaner to see if it's starving for air.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I will check into the air filter at some point this morning… Do you think it's possible a blocked muffler could cause this?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok running it up without the air filter on helped, it didn't completely fix the issue but it made it a lot better
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I would think a clogged exhaust would make it worse at high speed. That's when it's putting out the most air.

Have you checked compression since the rebuild?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did immediately after and was showing 105 which I thought was low but I was told to wait until I ran it a few hours to let the carbon build up and let the rings seat and it would come up to about 120+ I can check it again now
Old 08-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I did barbecue the exhaust for an hour just because it was easy and free and well it did not help the problem it did improve performance a little bit in regards to throttle responsiveness.... I will keep posted with progress, and as soon as I get my compression tester I will post with the numbers
Old 08-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Sputtering or surging? I had a surging at low speed problem once with a 4 cycle when trying to idle around slowly,
turned out to be the linkage to the governor adjustment.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm pretty sure it's a combination, it sputters at low speed on flats and not so much uphill, it seems worse down hill which is where I assume the downhill portion is related to the surging...I don't have any governor linkage (I would like one) it was taken off before I bought the cart. On that note does anyone have any ideas how I can add a governor on the cheap?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I did the HEI mod and removed my stock air filter housing and went to an open element, no change really. Next I'm going to mess with carb a little more and then it's off to check the timing. If neither of these fix it I'm going to try to install a governor, it could be surging I guess
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO