lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2017, 01:21 AM   #1
shaggy_56701
Not Yet Wild

Default rebuild or buy a different cart? 89 marathon 3pg engine fire

So I got a what I think is a 89 marathon cart with the 3pg 2 stroke. got the cart for free, in good shape, new tires not weather checked or anything. However it had suffered a significant engine fire from what I assume was a cracked fuel line.

the fire was on the fan side of the engine, melted the oil tank and air intake hose and most of the wiring and was hot enough to melt the gas tank enough that I wouldn't want to use it.

I removed the engine today and pulled the flywheel side cover off to find the fan fins melted a little bit so now I'm worried about crank seals etc. there was debris inside the cover preventing the motor from turning over but once that was removed it turns over fine and has what seems like good compression.

would it be worth cleaning up rewiring, replacing the damaged fan and gas tank just to see if it would run or should I try and find another cart. My time isn't worth much and I like to tinker on the older stuff but I don't wanna spend 1500 on parts and still have a cart that don't run.

Thanks in advance, perhaps the motor could be swapped out to something else too
shaggy_56701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Re: rebuild or buy a different cart? 89 marathon 3pg engine fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy_56701 View Post
So I got a what I think is a 89 marathon cart with the 3pg 2 stroke. got the cart for free, in good shape, new tires not weather checked or anything. However it had suffered a significant engine fire from what I assume was a cracked fuel line.

the fire was on the fan side of the engine, melted the oil tank and air intake hose and most of the wiring and was hot enough to melt the gas tank enough that I wouldn't want to use it.

I removed the engine today and pulled the flywheel side cover off to find the fan fins melted a little bit so now I'm worried about crank seals etc. there was debris inside the cover preventing the motor from turning over but once that was removed it turns over fine and has what seems like good compression.

would it be worth cleaning up rewiring, replacing the damaged fan and gas tank just to see if it would run or should I try and find another cart. My time isn't worth much and I like to tinker on the older stuff but I don't wanna spend 1500 on parts and still have a cart that don't run.

Thanks in advance, perhaps the motor could be swapped out to something else too
You are already ahead of the curve by getting it for free

I would think that you could fab up what it takes to mount a fuel tank. If you're like me a couple gallons of fuel will more than last all the driving you'll do in a day. The seal should be readily available and shouldn't be that much of a problem to replace. Probably no problem with it though as the big flywheel will have absorbed most if not all the heat from the fire. The fan I'm sure can be found so I'm going to suggest that if it was me I'd do what it takes to put this cart back on the mend and enjoy the freebie. I wouldn't think after its all said and done you'll have more than a couple Benjamin's in that cart when you're smiling as you truck right on down the trail/road whichever is your forte

Oh and if you're like many of us here you'll enjoy this cart way more since you brought it back from the death bed as you would if you spent a ton of money on a ready to go model. :-)

My .02 cents worth

Go for it

Peace

Last edited by David Maner; 09-16-2017 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: edit for misspells
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
shaggy_56701
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave,

I found a eBay deal with the f/r switch, coil, regulator solenoid etc. for 100 bucks. Anyone have an idea where I can find an oil tank or should I just delete the oiler and mix gas in the tank.

Also the previous owner included a new carb that he was going to put on it before it caught fire. Bonus!

All the governor linkage and oiler linkage rods are missing, I'm assuming the plastic ends melted and fell out the bottom so I need those as well, or if anyone knows how long they are supposed to be I can make some

Thanks
shaggy_56701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'd just premix the fuel hate to see you put all that work in just to wreck the motor if something got messed up in the fire also unless you want it to go slow I'd just leave the governor linkage off
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Curious about these 2 stroke carts. Specifically how the stock model mixes from the oil tank.

Is there a regulator associated with rpm or is it just a constant oil ratio?

I only ask because I had a bunch of old 2 stroke sea-doos, and the oil ratios from idle to WOT was significant.

Meaning the pre-mix could foul plugs after extended idling. Think no-wake zones, stuff like that.
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Sorry to hijack...

Free means fix it. Now you have some freedom to customize it, or just make it run and drive if you dont care about such things.

Old Marathons around here STILL bring $1000 running. A little more if it's dressed up some.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
emanon6
Not Yet Wild

2 cycles are a snap. Removing and reinstalling the engine is the worst part. Local cart shop or internet will have everything readily available. I picked up an 88 ezgo and rebuilt the entire motor for $350 ish. Pre mix your gas at 128:1. If you can do it yourself......go for it[emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emanon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
emanon6
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dmt View Post
Curious about these 2 stroke carts. Specifically how the stock model mixes from the oil tank.

Is there a regulator associated with rpm or is it just a constant oil ratio?

I only ask because I had a bunch of old 2 stroke sea-doos, and the oil ratios from idle to WOT was significant.

Meaning the pre-mix could foul plugs after extended idling. Think no-wake zones, stuff like that.

The oil pump is driven off of the end of the fan side of the shaft. I was told that if the pump malfunctioned, that it ends up wide open so it doesn't seize the engine. I like to control my oil/gas and premix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emanon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Sea doos did the same. Any malfunction, and the oil pump goes wide open. Saves the motor. Super rare failure rate tho.

Didn't know if the Marathons were the same.

Seems like you'd be throwing an insurance policy away by deleting it... Just my .000002c

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yeah if the cable breaks it's goes to full oil if the pump "malfunctions" it's not going to pump anything
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO