lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default cart still not running

**CART ENGINE IS A 244 ROBIN WITH A .050" KIT**

Okay, we have torn the cart engine down, piston is in correctly, jug is good, torqued to specs, same with cylinder head, good spark, constant backfiring, and possible fueling issues.

we've set the wrist pin snap rings to bottom, made sure rings are good, and seated around locator pins.

cart will spit and sputter, then take off, and run great with half choke, but will die off eventually, take choke off entirely, engines raps out to high rev and stalls out. we have tried 3 different fuel pumps, all of which work just fine.

I personally think its due to the the air fuel ratio being off due to the oversize cylinder.

is there a jet kit for the factory Mikuni to make up for the oversize cylinder or is it even needed?
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Cavemandrew
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: cart still not running

Sounds like a restriction in the fuel system. Fuel filter, kinked hose. Maybe sticky carb float needle not letting enough fuel in. Have you cleaned the carb?
Cavemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavemandrew View Post
Sounds like a restriction in the fuel system. Fuel filter, kinked hose. Maybe sticky carb float needle not letting enough fuel in. Have you cleaned the carb?
No kinks, filter new, and card cleaned repeatedly.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Cavemandrew
Getting Wild

Yamaha

It's likely it's the jetting then.(too lean). How cold was it when you were running it?
Cavemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Is the bottom of the float bowl caved in, or deformed in any way? It usually happens by tightening the bottom bolt too much while trying to seal the float bowl.

If it is, the cross drilled holes are getting blocked by either the gasket, or the edge of the float bowl. That causes a fuel restriction in the main jet.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavemandrew View Post
It's likely it's the jetting then.(too lean). How cold was it when you were running it?
That is what k-mart thinks.We adjusted bowl to reduce fuel level because it was overflowing,re-adjusted back when cart was dying off. Have to much fuel again.Temps in the 40's/50's The piston has .050 stamped on it so we assume it is .050 over meaning it is larger therefore needing more fuel, bigger jets. We have not been able to find after market jets or know what size we should use. The bowl is fine. Adjusted it by blowing into fuel feed and raising bowl until set, closing off feed.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The bowl is not adjustable.

The float is adjustable. Everything you described is the float.

I am talking about the actual bowl. The hard metal shell that is held on by a single bolt through the bottom.

Is it recessed, or caved in?

.050 is half of a millimeter. That's .020". Not enough to increase the amount of fuel required to make it run.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardway View Post
[
cart will spit and sputter, then take off, and run great with half choke, but will die off eventually, take choke off entirely, engines raps out to high rev and stalls out.
Man I feel for you, still sounds like you are running out of gas, have you pulled the line at the carb, pull the spark plug and wind it over to see if you have a constant flow? I had one that was sucking air around the pickup tube in the tank and the plastic elbow on top the tank.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Man I feel for you, still sounds like you are running out of gas, have you pulled the line at the carb, pull the spark plug and wind it over to see if you have a constant flow? I had one that was sucking air around the pickup tube in the tank and the plastic elbow on top the tank.

We did check for a cracker pickup tube by gravity feeding the carb. cart still acted the same way so best guess is that the pick up is good still.

why the **** did EZGO not make it so the pickup tube can be easily pulled out and physically checked is beyond me.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The bowl is not adjustable.

The float is adjustable. Everything you described is the float.

I am talking about the actual bowl. The hard metal shell that is held on by a single bolt through the bottom.

Is it recessed, or caved in?

.050 is half of a millimeter. That's .020". Not enough to increase the amount of fuel required to make it run.

Yes I mis spoke. adjusted the float arms to allow for faster/slower closing of bowl needle.

But we havent checked the bowl itself yet. There was a sealing issue with the bowl O-ring and my youngest son being the ham fisted gorilla he is did crank the bowl bolt down, and it did stop leaking. So theres a good chance that the bowl is bent.

Will check and advise.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO