lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Club Car DS 85
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 EZGO 2 stroke

I am trying to fix up a vintage 1977 Ezgo 2 stroke with a Robbins 244 engine. I put new points, condenser and a spark plug in it. The last owner said he did change the points and after that it never ran.
I read where setting the timing is very critical and difficult. If it is off the engine may not run correctly. In the process I have the timing marks on the flywheel and the dyno housing marked. I have set them where they are off the dyno mark by a 1/4" for each direction.
When I run it in reverse it runs very good. The points emit a bring purple spark as they work. Clutch kicks in fine.
Then when I try forward, no power, no visible spark from points and of course no movement from the clutch.
I tried moving the points bracket many times and in many positions using the meter connected to the coil. In every move I make reverse is great forward is like dead. Of course the closer to the dyno marks I split the difference the easier it starts.
Am I just not getting the flywheel marks close enough or any suggestions to help me set the timing for power in both direction.
Thanks for ideas ahead of time.
Club Car DS 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1977 EZGO 2 stroke

is there play up and down in the crank?makes the points go funny in for. also the motors run better in rev. than for if the seals are bad,but it sounds more like a spark issue
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The points shouldn't be sparking. That's how they burn. There condenser is there to prevent the points from arcing
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Club Car DS 85
Not Yet Wild

I will check the play if any in the crank.

When the engine is running in reverse I see that purple light or spark from the points. I assumed that since the points were opening and closing so fast that the purple light was the arc across the points.

The engine runs well in reverse and I had spark in the plug both in forward and reverse, i am just wondering why forward doesn't kick in. I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Thanks for the information. I am getting better at setting the points on this thing in such a terrible angle. So close yet so far.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have you done a compression check
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Club Car DS 85
Not Yet Wild

No, but I will. I just assumed (I Know ) that with it running so good in reverse that compression would be good in forward.

But I will certainly check it in both directions. I read it should be 100 plus to be in a good range, up to 130?

Again thanks for any input, I feel it is something close. I am definitely going to try to set the timing again and try and get it even closer to the mark. It is now in the 1/8 to 1/4 off before the mark in both directions. I split the difference as best as I could that day.

Thanks I truly appreciate the help.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Id definitely check it just to rule it out does choking it in forward make any difference?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Club Car DS 85
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for helping me. Choking it does not affect it in forward. In reverse you only choke it once and it starts and runs well. When warmed up no choke is needed for reverse.

I will get back to it to check the crank for play and compression.

Thanks for the suggestions to all. I will keep all informed.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Club Car DS 85
Not Yet Wild

Hello, I just want to keep up with the information on this golf cart. The only real information is that 1 I travel at times for my job and have hit a spell of not being home.
So, I have to wait until this weekend to get back on it.
2 I put an ad on Craigslist for a few parts needed like the front seat backs and a few other items. A guy messaged me that he had the parts. When I went to look at the parts he offered the whole cart real cheap.
So now I have a 1988 ezgo gas golf cart that the drive clutch is off and in pieces. Maybe my next project. The 1988 has a double seat back but most pictures I find have a single back seat panel.

I will keep others posted since I appreciate the comments and help.

Thanks again for the advise.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 88 is a better cart. Post some pictures of the body, engine, and exhaust. Then we can be sure of exactly what it is.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO