lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Fourthewin
Not Yet Wild

Default '99 Club Car DS Engine Swap

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the golf card industry. I was given a 1999 Club Car DS with a sickly FE290.

I've been reading and researching for a few weeks now in my spare time but I'm as confused as ever!

This cart will be used as a utility cart. I want to increase the top in speed to 12-15mph and certainly increase the power.

I know I want to replace the weakish FE290 but I have NO idea what to choose! I like the "press, start and go" of the stock motors so I don't think I want to do a big block stock.

Would you all recommend upgrading to an FE400? That seems like the most simple. But I'm confused by some saying there are models with a counter clockwise rotating shafter or clockwise....jackshafts.....aggg...my head is exploding!

Would some of you be willing to point me in the right direction that has some experience on a 99?

Thanks so much for all of your help and time!
Fourthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '99 Club Car DS Engine Swap

Your '99 would be a clockwise rotation originally. Almost all "replacement" engines out there are counter-clockwise. If you go with a Club Car specific FE400 you're all set. I know of someone who got a fantastic price on a EZGO version of that engine, but ate up most of the price difference in the drive clutch to make it work. AND still had the backwards gearing issue you've probably already seen mentioned in other threads.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

so you want to GO 12-15 faster than it goes NOW or want it to go 12-15 mph

from my reading and talking the FE290 is a great engine and workhorse. could step up to a FE350 for a little more mmmph. my DS was used as a utility cart and has the FE290 in it. it runs around 15mph all day long for now. plan to tune up, new clutch and belts, then a few tweeks to get it to run around 20-25 (hopefully) many others have done it all day long.
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 AM   #4
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
so you want to GO 12-15 faster than it goes NOW or want it to go 12-15 mph

from my reading and talking the FE290 is a great engine and workhorse. could step up to a FE350 for a little more mmmph. my DS was used as a utility cart and has the FE290 in it. it runs around 15mph all day long for now. plan to tune up, new clutch and belts, then a few tweeks to get it to run around 20-25 (hopefully) many others have done it all day long.
Why not put new rings seals and gaskets? That's what. I did.Now I'm. going 27 mph in my 92.

Sent from my LGL51AL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Fourthewin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittrick.joe View Post
Why not put new rings seals and gaskets? That's what. I did.Now I'm. going 27 mph in my 92.

Sent from my LGL51AL using Tapatalk
Joe, I’m mechanically capable but I’ve never done anything like that. Where did you get the kit for replacement? Did you do some mods for extra power and speed? I’d love to know what you did to her. I’m assuming the 99 and 91 fe290 are identical?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fourthewin, where about are you? There are several shops that specialize in rebuilding golf cart engines, if you are uncomfortable with - or just don't have the tools for the machine work & actual rebuild. Most are in the $600 to $700 range (+ shipping if not local) and have at least some kind of warranty. The 92 mckittrick.joe mentioned is similar to your 99, but slightly different. His is one of the early "counter-clockwise" FE290's where yours is the later "clockwise" version. Rear ends are different to accommodate the engine rotation in each. The carts were originally designed for 12 mph or so on a golf course and were mechanically governed down to that speed - with and electronic RPM limiter that would cut out the ignition as a backup against over reving the engine. Almost every one of the couple thousand Club Cars around our campground has been modified to exceed that original governed speed - some by a lot. Are you having other engine issues beyond being set too slow? May be a much simpler fix than replacing the engine.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Fourthewin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Fourthewin, where about are you? There are several shops that specialize in rebuilding golf cart engines, if you are uncomfortable with. Are you having other engine issues beyond being set too slow? May be a much simpler fix than replacing the engine.
Thank you for the reply Meimk!

Honestly, I thought the top speed was 10mph on these carts. If I could get 20-25mph out of her I would be elated! I want to be able to use it on my land hauling stuff in the bed. Perhaps lifting it a little for ground clearance and adding some knobby tires.

My issue is mainly time. With traveling for work, it would be easier for me to have it done. I’m not opposed at all to an engine rebuild, it just looked to me that the difference in cost between getting a rebuilt fe290/fe350/fe400 was maybe a $125 or so.

For speed, it looks like all I need to do is have the clutch reworked and put some 6:1 gears in. Does that sound right?

Would you recommend getting the current engine reworked or upgrading to the beefier motor?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I
I got most parts from cart parts +. Just so they are oem. I put larger jet in carb. Bought tach. Then disabled gov. And rev. Limiter.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittrick.joe View Post
I
I got most parts from cart parts +. Just so they are oem. I put larger jet in carb. Bought tach. Then disabled gov. And rev. Limiter.
I have 22 inch rear tires. My son's cart with no lift with 20 in. Tires Will go 23 mph.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Son's cart is 93 club car .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car