lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
Raylance
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV issue stops running

My cart just recently stops running after 20 minutes or so of hard running. My first thought was the batteries so I replaced with new ones. I replaced the battery cables with 4awg wires and added a digital volt meter to the dash. The same problem continues. I dont think it is a brake issue because it just coasts to a stop. It will not move again till it sits an hour or 2. Then it might surge a little at first but then runs fine. If I just run it nicely there is no issue.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? Solenoid? Bearing encoder?

My closes ezgo dealer is over an hour away.

Thanks
Raylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 RXV issue stops running

Big offroad tires & wheels can quickly put the controller into "over temp" condition, same for motor....

High speed gears can do the same.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you checked the temperature of the burn-off resistor thermal switch?

I don't know exactly what might cause your issue, but the fact that it runs fine after it sits for awhile makes me wonder if that thermal protection device is shutting the cart down.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Raylance
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is lifted and has 23" tires but I have owned it 5 years and this is new. I didn't check any temperatures but I felt the resistor and it wasn't to hot to touch. The solenoid felt hot though and the controller was pretty warm. I am taking it to Myrtle Beach over the 4th and am afraid I might have problems. Though it is flat there and with all the traffic 10mph is all you can go.

I tried searching for threads with heat related problems and I can't find any other RXV owners with issues. I hate to take it to a service center and they can't find anything wrong.... which I think would happen because it runs perfectly till thrashed.

How do you check the thermal resistor switch?
Raylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

You check it properly with the handheld programmer. It will show both motor temperature and heat sink temperature under 'diag realtime'.

But EZGO put a stop to anyone selling the Danaher programmer for some unknown reason other than IMO them being jerks.

When we first started selling RXVs in 2009, a few folks tried to test drive them to Sebree, a town some 15 miles away from our shop in rural country that's on some very hilly back roads. The cars almost always stalled out from 'over temperature' 10 miles into the trip. Customer comes and claims 'RXVs are crap' and we lose a sale. EZGO over the phone says 'they're golf cars' and makes a claim that they're not intended for long hauls or hard drives. Not sure who is right in this case. Since they went Curtis we haven't had that issue (but we sure go through controllers like candy.)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylance View Post
It is lifted and has 23" tires but I have owned it 5 years and this is new. I didn't check any temperatures but I felt the resistor and it wasn't to hot to touch. The solenoid felt hot though and the controller was pretty warm. I am taking it to Myrtle Beach over the 4th and am afraid I might have problems. Though it is flat there and with all the traffic 10mph is all you can go.

I tried searching for threads with heat related problems and I can't find any other RXV owners with issues. I hate to take it to a service center and they can't find anything wrong.... which I think would happen because it runs perfectly till thrashed.

How do you check the thermal resistor switch?
23" tires will burn up a stock controller. You are very lucky to have had it last that long. Repeated overheats do permanent cumulative damage to the controller. It takes a 350 Amp Curtis upgrade controller to drive 23" tires. Before contemplating the Navitas "600 Amp" controller, be aware that it is rated differently. It is only 200 Amps when compared to the rating system used by Curtis! If using the Navitas rating system, the stock controllers are rated at 705 Amps...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO