lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
jwracer11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery consumption and voltage #s

I'm curious as to initial voltage numbers and battery consumption. I have recently installed Scotty B's voltmeter and after a full charge my batteries read 37.4 -37.7 and while driving they are usually around 35.5. (Now this is usually with one pass down to the mailbox.) We don't ride it around the house much, but will be taking it camping for the first time in a few weeks. I recently acquired the cart (07 TXT PDS) and was told the batteries were a few years old.
What do those numbers tell me about ride time? I am concerned that the family will be off on it all day while camping and the batteries going dead. Do those numbers give me any insight as to the lifespan of the batteries? Thanks for your insight!
jwracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery consumption and voltage #s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwracer11 View Post
I'm curious as to initial voltage numbers and battery consumption. I have recently installed Scotty B's voltmeter and after a full charge my batteries read 37.4 -37.7 and while driving they are usually around 35.5. (Now this is usually with one pass down to the mailbox.) We don't ride it around the house much, but will be taking it camping for the first time in a few weeks. I recently acquired the cart (07 TXT PDS) and was told the batteries were a few years old.
What do those numbers tell me about ride time? I am concerned that the family will be off on it all day while camping and the batteries going dead. Do those numbers give me any insight as to the lifespan of the batteries? Thanks for your insight!
Those numbers alone do not give you a lot of insight. Also, need to know WHEN you took that reading. You need to wait 12 hours or so after charging to get an accurate voltage reading.

Voltage always drops when under load (the cart is starting or moving). The fact that a battery shows full voltage after charge really does not tell us a lot about its capacity.

I have seen a fully charged (full voltage reading after charge) set of batteries read almost dead after 200 yards. What happened was one battery was "giving up" under load. Voltage drop on the gauge generally is not linear like a traditional gas gauge.

Though every battery in a set may read fully charged, depending of the health of each battery, each may have a different capacity. Only way to know for sure is to load test the pack with a load tester made for golf cart batteries (or drive the cart until it loses power).
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:35 AM   #3
Sideways
Gone Wild

In addition to what Rockford suggested, make sure to keep an eye on water level in each of the battery cells and only use distilled water when needed.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

https://hespv.ca/blog/deep-cycle-battery-water-levels/

Lots of good info here. Check Part 2 for getting each battery's specific gravity.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 37.4V to 37.7V is only 79% to 85% charged, IF that reading was taken about 12 hours or so after the charger shut off.

IF it was taken much sooner, the SoC (State of Charge) is even lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO