lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #1
jhyla62
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default RoyPow Voltage Reducer

Hi,

I just converted my '05 Club Car Precedent over to a RoyPow 105AH battery. I've added a couple of before and after pics just for fun.

My question is about adding a voltage reducer. More specifically how to connect existing lights to a new reducer.

I had a blue wire connected to the 12v side of the original setup. That would go to the positive side of the reducer.

Is there a ground from the original light setup that I would also need to run to the reducer? Does the yellow butt connector have something to do with this?

Perhaps I don't need to do anything with the ground at all (meaning it was already grounded from original setup).

As an aside, I did not do anything at all with the OBC since I was not using it to charge. Don't know if I should but that's another question.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (199.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RoyPow.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
jhyla62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Texpie
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow Voltage Reducer

I'm about to tackle the same problem. Reviewing the schematics in the service manual. I'll post if I discover the solution.
Texpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Jack Daniels
Not Yet Wild

Had the same issue. Hook the blue wire up to 12V +. I cut the bullet connector off, put a ring terminal on and hooked to 12v - and all is working.
Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
jhyla62
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
Had the same issue. Hook the blue wire up to 12V +. I cut the bullet connector off, put a ring terminal on and hooked to 12v - and all is working.
Thanks. In my case since the RoyPow is a 48v I'll need to connect the blue wire to a voltage reducer. The bullet connector I think I'll need to run the voltage reducer as well.

Will try this weekend.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
jhyla62
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyla62 View Post
Hi,

I just converted my '05 Club Car Precedent over to a RoyPow 105AH battery. I've added a couple of before and after pics just for fun.

My question is about adding a voltage reducer. More specifically how to connect existing lights to a new reducer.

I had a blue wire connected to the 12v side of the original setup. That would go to the positive side of the reducer.

Is there a ground from the original light setup that I would also need to run to the reducer? Does the yellow butt connector have something to do with this?

Perhaps I don't need to do anything with the ground at all (meaning it was already grounded from original setup).

As an aside, I did not do anything at all with the OBC since I was not using it to charge. Don't know if I should but that's another question.

Any help is appreciated.
As a follow-up -

I ended up removing the OBC because I learned that leaving it would lock up the cart by not sensing any activity. The sticky on this forum was a big help.

I also took the ground with the yellow bullet connector and was able to put on a ring terminal and had enough slack to attach to the B- on the controller.

All is working well. Most noticeable thing for me is consistent speed on hills.

Tags
club car, ground, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car