lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Maztang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 86 Model, quit going forward

I am pretty sure some of the batteries need to be replaced but don't have any idea if that is why it would quit going forward. It goes in reverse just fine. I pulled it all apart (down to the frame and electrical parts) to try to learn more about it and try to figure out what is wrong with it. I can hear a clicking noise at the solenoids when I put it in gear and press the pedal but the motor doesn't do anything. I suck with electrical stuff so please let me know what you guys think. If you need more info just let me know. Thanks.
Maztang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 86 Model, quit going forward

Did the cart run correctly before you tore cart down and if so did your problem start after you put cart back together and if so its probably a wiring error? You might also check the first solenoid on drivers side as its master unit that feeds power to the rest of solenoids and coil resistors. Just because a soelnoid clicks it can still not make contact inside to feed power to motor.
Before doing much on cart you need to get a cheap digital volt meter ( Harbor Freight about $5.00 ) and a single float hydrometer with temperature correcting scale ( NOT a antifreeze multi float unit ) auto parts store about $5-$7. Then you can confirm battery condition and be able to test electrical parts. Then after you have equipment the forum can take you through tests to find your problem.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Maztang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry, yes it was running fine when I got it and has been running great for a while. Kinda slugish but it was moving forward and in reverse. Then 1 day it just quit going forward. So I pulled it in the garage and started ripping into it to try to figure out what was going on. A guy I work with is an electrican and is going to come by tomorrow to help me figure it out. If we can't get it solved then I will hit you guys back up. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the old 36 volt resistor carts ran off all 6 batteries in forward and only 3 (or 4) batteries in reverse. If you look at the 2 batteries in the middle of the cart, there is most likely a green wire going from 1 of the 2 batteries to the F&R. That wire is the "main" positive wire for reverse. Whichever battery it is coming from determines the amount of power for reverse (if it's the driver side middle battery, you have 18 volts in reverse, if it's the passenger side middle battery, you have 24 volts in reverse). The remaining batteries on the PASSENGER side add the extra voltage for forward. If you are running fine in reverse, but not running in Forward, then chances are either you have a bad wire or a bad battery among those remaining batteries on the Passenger side. You need to determine which it is. As Old Mec has said, you will need a digital volt meter to solve this. Most likely the electrician friend of yours should have one.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Maztang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well he came over tonight and after doing a bunch of stuff that I don't know about, he narrowed the problem down to a solenoid. He taught me a bunsh of **** about electricity and how it runs through these carts and showed me how to find out which solenoid it is. So 1 day this week I will be able to figure out which one it is exactly and get it replaced. We were getting 36 volts through the system so I think the batteries are good but I still want to get them tested for sure. Thanks for the input guys, it means a lot. Rattireborn...yes, it is a 36 volt. It is running 4 for reverse (24 volts) and all 6 for forward. Thanks for the input. I will post up when I get it fixed.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Tell your electrician friend that if a 5 solenoid cart runs in reverse but not forward or visa versa it is NOT a solenoid problem.... Likely the red main battery to F&R cable problem or F&R breakdown....

Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Maztang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well I guess I should give a run down on what he did and maybe you guys can help me out. He checked continuity in the forward and reverse lever assy, checked continuity to the motor and in the solenoids. All the wires had continuity within them. When he got to one of the solenoids we were getting no voltage and it had a grinding sound coming from inside of it, very loud grinding not a clicking sound. If I understood him right this is how he told me it operates, He said in reverse the power will flow in 1 direction and then when you put it in forward the power will alternate the other direction and send the voltage through the solenoids. If 1 solenoid doesn't make contact then the others after it won't either. I could be wrong but I believe that is how he put it. If this is wrong please let me know, I am no electrician at all. hahaha......shoulda bought a gas powered cart. hahaha

Also, Scotty, what do you mean F&R breakdown? I can check the cable to make sure it is making a good contact if that is what you mean about F&R cable problem. At first we were thinking it was the F&R selector switch but he ran a continuity test on it all and it rang out good so we moved on.

When I say that solenoid made a loud grinding noise, it makes a very very noticable grinding noise. Now if that is not the problem then ok, but I have never heard a solenoid make that kind of noise before. haha

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Maztang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Bump
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car