lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
paul06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default wiring to battery

Hi
I am new to this forum. I have a 1998 Gas Ezgo MG4 TXT. My helpful son-in-law removed my battery some months ago while I was not looking

It was badly corroded. However when I went out to the garage to get the cart [it has been sitting for a long while], I discovered what he had done. He said I needed a new battery as it would not take a charge.
The terminals were badly corroded and I am sure that it would not take a charge in that condition.
I cleaned it up before I tried my hand at charging. [my charger says it took a charge overnight while setting it on 12V-2amps; green light is on].
I checked the volage on a voltometer; it read 12.53 volts.
problem is I am not sure where to connect the four contacts and my son-in-law doesn' remember as it has been so long.
I do not want to conect it impropert and ruin what may be a good battery.
I have taken a photo of the battery compartment and the four cables in question.
One of the [black] cables is marked + or positive. The other three bear no markings. I assumme one of the ables is ground, but none appear to be grounded to the chassis.
I hope this picture helps discribe my delima. Any questions o pictures needed, I am happy to oblige. Thanks.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery compartment 150ppi copy.jpg (61.2 KB, 25 views)
paul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: wiring to battery

1. The cable marked + (should be connected to one of the big terminals of the solenoid) go to the + battery terminal;

2. The A1 of the starter generator should be grounded (connected to the chassis);
3. The ground bare cable should be connected to the battery negative;

As far as I know, there are only 2 cables/wires. Can you tell us where those 2 other wires are connected to? In some cases, the small wire coming from one of the small terminals of the solenoid is connected directly to the + side of the battery. (In my case, that small wire is connected to the large solenoid terminal (same effect as connecting that wire to the battery +.) The 4th wire is possibly the ground wire to the voltage regulator. Install fuses.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
paul06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great reply. To further help, I removed the cove to show where the cables are going. I numbered the cables 1 through 4. Clearly 4 is ground. 1 is positive. Both connected near one another as show in photo. Cables 2 &3 come from the same harness. On 2, there is a strange device on the end that connectes to the battery. On 3, there is a standard nut & bolt. s I said before two of the cables are not connected o a nut & bolt and two are. I appreciate your imput as this really has me stumped and do not have an ezgo dealership in my area to actually look at the way they should be connected to the battery. Other than the ground being bolted to the chassis, I do not have a clue as to what that harness is connected to or what the device the positive cable is connected to.

i am going out Friday to purchase a new battery, I do not want to hook it up wrong. I wish it were as simple as the battery wiring in automobiles.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover removed full view 150ppi.jpg (63.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg closeuo wiring harness 150ppi.jpg (41.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ground connection150ppi.jpg (35.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The + and - cables if connected to the + and - of the battery will make your cart run. The "strange device" on the right side is the fuse box. The two other cables are for lights and accessories but I am not sure. I don't have those wires in my cart. I can't really make a better analysis and recommendation unless I see the cart. Quiite frankly, wiring is the easiest part when rebuilding carts.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
paul06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the answer :

1&2 go to the positive pole.
3&4 to the negative pole.
Thanks for all your imput. I know this is a simple problem. Even the p-erson with even basic knowledge should know the answer. However, it depends on who's eyes a person is looking through. [Things are simple if you know the correct way to do something]. Although, it is interesting at the number of hits and the number who answered my problem with a reply. On the other hand, maybe my problem was not so simple.

In any case, I sure do appreciate the ones who did reply; they helped me out alot and set me on the right track. Thank you
Paul
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO