lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Pitcart
Not Yet Wild

Default Trans axle swap

What trans axles can be used in a 89 marathon with a mount change?

My primary concerne is driven clutch shaft spline count and diameter and axle center dimension. Brakes and mounting should be easy hurdles to tackle.

I know of a guy located close to me that has several carts of many makes he is parting out. I need reverse in my cart and I do not have it with my 2 stroke rear diff since I swapped in the Polaris 440 engine.

Pitcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default Re: Trans axle swap

How experienced are you at fabricating? Any 4 stroke rear end will swap in the same as anything. You will probably have to come up with your own mounts on the axle, blocks and ubolts if you go with leaf springs. Just remember to get the shifter cables and shifter brackets you need.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Pitcart
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the late reply I work in AK on a 28 on 10 off shift rotation and we have been real buisy.

I have a transaxle out of a G8 or G9 yamaha for it now and im in the process of checking to see of the axle splin count and diameter is the same as my 89 EZGO. If they are I plan on splicing the EZGO axle tubes to the yamahopy tube ends so I can keep the brakes and such EZGO. The rear did include the driven clutch, shift cables and mechanism. Though I want to install a 8:1 gear set in it i'll wait and see how I like the 13.5 over the 15.? that the EZGO Dana has in it.

The engine runs good and strong and if I set the clutch to drop at 2500 its as tame as the stock engine if driven nice. But when I set the clutch to drop at 5600 its a little rabid and like to drag my the trailer hitch down the road until you lift of the loud pedal.

I did have a minor accident with it and hit a tree with the only casualty being the front shock cover and the left front spring broke in half. I suppose it did knock the tire off the bead too.

I tried to upload some pics but cant seem to get a grasp on the process.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Pitcart
Not Yet Wild

Ok, splines were not the same. But as luck would have it Don @ O'connors golf cars in Parkland WA 253-531-0192 has several rear ends most are Yamaha. He had one complete drum to drum with controlls and a driven clutch that was within 7/8" of my EZGO. He also set me up with a new set of 3 leaf front springs and a pair of coil overs for the rear that will help inprove the clearance where the pipe routes to the silencer. He's a great guy and a great source for parts if you live in the western Washington area.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO