lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default connection rod bearing

What keeps the connecting rod centered on the crankshaft? I just took mine apart to inspect and I noticed the connecting rod is riding more towards one side of the crank- is this normal? It's got a bunch of play side-to-side on the crank. The crank bearings are tight.
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: connection rod bearing

The close fit and wide width on the piston pin keep the rod on the crank journal...
Unfortunately you will pay a price for inspecting it... The connecting rods are not to be reused in that engine. The Aluminum rods are a one shot deal when it comes to proper torque. If removed they must be replaced according to the Ezgo manual.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The close fit and wide width on the piston pin keep the rod on the crank journal...
Unfortunately you will pay a price for inspecting it... The connecting rods are not to be reused in that engine. The Aluminum rods are a one shot deal when it comes to proper torque. If removed they must be replaced according to the Ezgo manual.
I didn't remove the rod or crank, just inspected with the cylinder off.
It's a 2PG engine, BTW.
So it needs a piston anyway so that should keep the rod centered?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

OH, my bad, don't know about 2 strokes... I was talking about 4 stroke engine with aluminum rods.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Pb Powered
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

In any piston driven internal combustion engine the connecting rod is held center mainly by the location of the cylinder bore to the crank. The rod has some clearance on either side on the rod journal at the crank and on either side on the wrist pin at the piston. How much depends on the design of the engine. This side clearance allows for the expansion of parts when they get hot and lubrication. It also allows the rod to float some so it will kind align it self to some degree between the piston and crank and make up for the manufacturing tolerances of the engine make. You should not have a problem with the rod being off center, not likely unless the engine has had it's cylinder bored way off center during a rebuild, a bad crank bearing is allowing the crank to have excessive endplay or the rod is bent. sometimes the rod will ride more to one side than the other depending on the engine.

hope that was helpful.
Pb Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You should also be aware that (in the 2PG engine but not the 3PG) there are two spacers either side of the piston wrist pin. It is not unknown for these to be missing after a rebuild. Without them the connecting rod is really free to move.

Dave.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
You should also be aware that (in the 2PG engine but not the 3PG) there are two spacers either side of the piston wrist pin. It is not unknown for these to be missing after a rebuild. Without them the connecting rod is really free to move.

Dave.
Thanks, that what I checked next. They are there. You can see a grove in the crank where the rod was wearing into it. I just wanted to freshen up this engine to last another season or two. Do you think it's just the piston worn and a new piston will help it ride centered on the crank? The crank and bearings are all tight.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If the bottom end is tight then you should be good, however..........

If you improve the top end and radically increase the compression then that might be enough to tip the balance and blow out the big end bearing.

That piston looks like it has seen plenty of blow by and you can bet the cylinder is equally worn. For two more seasons I would recommend that you get yourself a top end overhaul kit. This will get you a new piston, rings, small end bearing, cylinder and gaskets. This kit does not include the crankshaft seals and I would earnestly recommend that you replace these as well. It is a pain getting the clutch and the flywheel off but not replacing them is a recipe for heartbreak further down the road.

Of course this is your decision and others may disagree with me but that is what I would do. Whatever you decide if you need help just shout out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, I plan on a top end kit and I already have the seals. I just didn't really want to do the bottom end.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Pb Powered
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

If I were you I would think real hard about just doing a complete rebuild. You already have it out and mostly tore down. It is cheaper to do it right once than doing it 2 or more times half way. If you have any doubts about the bottom end and you just do the top it will most always bite you in the seat cushion. If the engine slings a rod it can wipe out the case among other things, then your out a hole engine. Just something to think about.
Pb Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO