lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
opsled
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO engine ID need help

Hi guys, I don't spend much time here as I'm a sled guy but I'm trying to fix a EZ-G0 for a friend's inlaws.

S# is 480543 Manufacturers # is FO 388.

I know it's an 88 but I'm trying to figure out what the engine is. I can't find a tag on it. It's the original two stroke single and I need to go through it. Want to find out what (if any) parts are available before I open it up.

Compression seems low (about 90psi). I've gone through the carb but I can't get it to start without choke. It will run and rev once going but it's symptoms of starting/running are like what I've dealt with on sled engines that are just tired and in need of an overhaul.

How can I identify the engine and where can I get the parts I need?

Thanks, Phil (opsled)
opsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
walt-rate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO engine ID need help

under the gen/starter, there is a shroud over the head, this directs air flow over the motor/head for cooling, when you remove the gen/starter there should be a plate on it(the shroud) with the engine type/cc.. I HOPE THIS HELPS..
walt-rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

What you have is a Fuji 2PG engine (providing you are correct with that 1988 date). The 1988 was known as the High Output as Fuji fiddled with the exhaust system and use a slightly different carburetor. It really came to naught and a year later they introduced the 3PG which increased the output from 9hp to a whte knuckle inducing 11hp. The good news for you is that the engine parts remained the same from 1980 to mid 1989 so all you need to do is search for 2PG parts.

90 psi is right on the cusp of useless so it looks like your diagnosis of the engine being tired is spot on. In addition these little engines cannot run with worn crankshaft seals so whatever you decide to do you must replace these. My personal view (and others might disagree) is that the 2PG is a great little engine and mine which was rebuilt last year gives me all the torque and speed that I need. There are a plethora of parts available as these engines are used in India and Thailand in those tuk tuk taxis. You can find a top end kit (cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets etc.) for ~$200 or a complete kit which also includes the crankshaft, rod, seals etc.) for ~ $400.

It's a fun engine to rebuild and for my money a tight little 2 stroke is more game that the equivelent 4 stroke.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
What you have is a Fuji 2PG engine (providing you are correct with that 1988 date). The 1988 was known as the High Output as Fuji fiddled with the exhaust system and use a slightly different carburetor. It really came to naught and a year later they introduced the 3PG which increased the output from 9hp to a whte knuckle inducing 11hp. The good news for you is that the engine parts remained the same from 1980 to mid 1989 so all you need to do is search for 2PG parts.

90 psi is right on the cusp of useless so it looks like your diagnosis of the engine being tired is spot on. In addition these little engines cannot run with worn crankshaft seals so whatever you decide to do you must replace these. My personal view (and others might disagree) is that the 2PG is a great little engine and mine which was rebuilt last year gives me all the torque and speed that I need. There are a plethora of parts available as these engines are used in India and Thailand in those tuk tuk taxis. You can find a top end kit (cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets etc.) for ~$200 or a complete kit which also includes the crankshaft, rod, seals etc.) for ~ $400.

It's a fun engine to rebuild and for my money a tight little 2 stroke is more game that the equivelent 4 stroke.

Good luck

Dave

Wow Dave your sure using big words for this blog site! "plethora of parts"
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
opsled
Not Yet Wild

I know it's been a while but I've been busy as a one legged man in an ars kickin contest and that project got put on the back burner because it was winter up here and snowmobile work took precident.

Anywho, Thanks for the help. You guys gave me all the info I needed to get it fixed. My thoughts were correct. I pulled it out and down and found a broken skirt on the piston. Spit the cases and inspected the crank. All was good. New cylinder kit, gaskets, crank seals, carb cleaning and it's back on the road.

I've wrenched on everything from weedeaters to 1150 CI diesels but this was my first cart engine. Done many Fugi's in sleds but this one was new. Cute, simple little critter.

T'was fun.

Thanks again, Phil (opsled)
opsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO