lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
d10shun
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Engine slowly losing power

I have a 99 4stroke TXT. My cart is slowing down every time I drive it. It is now down about 14mph. I have cleaned the carb, new plugs, short belt, just rebuilt clutch for 28deg ramps with new buttons. The engine revs up fine in neutral but while in gear it barely revs up. The revs stay very very low while driving. The drive clutch seems fine as it moves the belt up as it speeds up in neutral. Any ideas? I have not yet checked to see if I have a dragging brake drum.
Thanks
Ben
d10shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
garredondojr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Engine slowly losing power

did you give your driven clutch the correct preload? is it staying shut at low speeds and opening progressively as you build speed. I found that my driven clutch was the problem for my cart. it would open almost immediatly and would make the cart bog at low rpms and never rev higher.
garredondojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
d10shun
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What is the correct preload? I did twist the cap back to put tension on the clutch spring when I put everything back together. I just tightened the bolt that holds the clutch to the spline. Are the two clutch plates supposed to move? I could not find any install directions besides krsdillon's. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

When is the last time you checked the valve clearance? Especially the exhaust valves.
tplasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
garredondojr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10shun View Post
What is the correct preload? I did twist the cap back to put tension on the clutch spring when I put everything back together. I just tightened the bolt that holds the clutch to the spline. Are the two clutch plates supposed to move? I could not find any install directions besides krsdillon's. Thanks for your help.
120-145 degree's of preload (depends if you use the 1,2 or 3 slot) before you spline the cam back up and put the smap ring in. you should not be able to turn the cam or inner clutch plate by hand.
garredondojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
d10shun
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I put the spring on the middle hole. I twisted back the cap one ramp button. Should I go to the second button? That would be 240deg. How tight does the clutch bolt on the splines need to be?

I have done the valve clearance in Dec. but I will check them again.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It sounds like you need to pull the head and check for valves that have sucked up in to the head. Why your doing it replace the springs it not a bad rebuild job and you can get away fairly cheap if you only need to replace one or two of the valves
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Before you start tearing into the motor, make sure your throttle cable is opening the butterfly valve enough. No load and the engine will spin up fine on a 1/4 open. Look here in the stickies http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO