lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
florida-carter
Not Yet Wild

Default Belt and Clutch Issues

Hi every, I am new here and not really a golf cart genius. I have a g16 that we use to play around in a beach town in Florida and have recently started having issues. A few weeks ago I started hearing rattling from the clutch, jerking, slow and noticed the cart smelled really hot after riding around for a while.

The belt began to separate so I change it, ran the cart for about 10 minutes and the new belt basically melted and shredded. A friend thought it was the secondary clutch so I ordered a new one and installed it. The cart seemed to run good and much quieter but after riding around for about 15 more minutes feeling pretty proud of myself the new belt came unraveled in a nice cloud of smoke. The secondary clutch was too hot to even touch.

Now my question, could the problem be the primary clutch or something else I should check? It's an old cart and I don't mind replacing it but hate to waste $300+ on a new clutch if it doesn't need it. I looked it over and the weights look ok and the rollers seem fine but I also don't really know what to look for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
florida-carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Belt and Clutch Issues

Brakes dragging really bad? Can you push the cart without too much effort?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
florida-carter
Not Yet Wild

Brakes seem ok, unfortunately I had to push the cart about a mile with no belt in the Florida heat and it rolled pretty freely :)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Have you noticed any loss in speed or acceleration?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Maybe a motor mount bad causing alignment problems
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
florida-carter
Not Yet Wild

Power is ok at lower speeds, top end is not good and is when the belt comes apart. May have figured it out, I jacked it up again and ran the cart, have before and it seemed fine but this time I stomped on it an when it hit too speed the entire secondary clutch turned at an angle. I think it's the spring seat that the clutch sits against when the spring is fully compressed. Which makes sense because at slow speeds the cart seemed fine.

The piece is all mangled and the little buttons or whatever they are called are completely gone. I might tackle that next. Not sure how I didnt Notice how bad it was when I replaced the clutch.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sounds like a new secondary might be in order. Hopefully the shaft isn't galled up.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha