lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed Sensor Wiring - RED BLUE BLACK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The DCS system does not read or control motor rpm.
There is no need to connect the motor rpm reader in a DCS system.
True, the stock DCS motor does not have a speed sensor, nor does the stock (Curtis 1206SX) controller or the aftermarket Alltrax XCT-DCS controller have provisions to connect one, however the Navitas TSX3.0 does.

I'm not sure what all the Navitas controller uses RPM data for, but, motor RPM limiting must be one of them, so owners with DCS cart with an aftermarket motor can up to 48V or Lithium packs without having to worry about over-revving the motor going downhill with foot on the floor. (I took out a motor and controller that way)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm not sure what all the Navitas controller uses RPM data for, but, motor RPM limiting must be one of them, so owners with DCS cart with an aftermarket motor can up to 48V or Lithium packs without having to worry about over-revving the motor going downhill with foot on the floor. (I took out a motor and controller that way)
I will confirm with the tech but, my Magic 8-Ball just said: "Signs point to yes". There are features in the app that give me the impression it can do this. But, I am no expert.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Typically Red is B+ and Black is B- (or gnd, or return) so the blue wire ought to be signal.

Test it by connecting a 9V battery (or something similar in the 9-15 volt range) + on red and - on black. Connect voltmeter between black (-) and blue (+) and slowly turn armature by hand (be careful there is no front bearing). you ought to see the voltmeter twitch either 2 or 4 times per armature revolution
Would the safest way to do this be to stand the motor up vertically so it doesn't rub on the sides or wreck the bearings?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
Would the safest way to do this be to stand the motor up vertically so it doesn't rub on the sides or wreck the bearings?
Won't hurt the bearing, the armature rubs on the field shoes, so try to center it as much as possible and rotate it slowly by hand. A little gentle metal to metal rubbing won't hurt anything even if you let it drag a bit.

The damage occurs when someone tries to bench test the motor. The armature is jammed against the field shoe and tries to rotate while drawing stall current.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The damage occurs when someone tries to bench test the motor. The armature is jammed against the field shoe and tries to rotate while drawing stall current.
Now that is a very important point! Being an "over tester" and a noobie I had a high potential of "dry run testing" the motor prior to actually putting it in to make sure it worked. But, totally makes sense.

Thank-you for the warning! Probably saved me from totally screwing up my new motor.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Not everybody knows this, but the motor laminations are individually coated to insulate them from each other electrically, so rubbing can remove this insulation, which cause eddy currents, which cause heat, which can do bad things to a new motor. Dry run it installed, so both bearings are present.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #17
Csaavedra
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
I will confirm with the tech but, my Magic 8-Ball just said: "Signs point to yes". There are features in the app that give me the impression it can do this. But, I am no expert.

Cheers,
Impaled
So i just purchased a 6-3 pin connector to connect the new motor speed switch to the navitas controller in my dcs . The tech stated that without the data from the motor the overdrive setting wont give the cart the extra speed similar to turbo mode to alltrax. Not sure if that is accurate, but for 25 dollars im hoing to give it try. Between batteries, controller, cables and admiral mot b2 im 1500 into it.
Did the cable work for you application?
Csaavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO