lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Open cell in one battery - huge voltage drop under slight load - replace all?

I just acquired a 1999 Ez-go. Says Freedom on the side and has OEM lights so I think its a TXT with the Freedom motor and a series controller (F/W switch behind legs and connecting rod linkage under seat) It's completely original and appears to be in really good shape. Came with a 36v PowerWise charger also appears almost new.

The guy that had it had been in declining health for the last 4 years so it was presumably not charged at all. Cells were all low on electrolyte. I topped them up and charged. Charger wouldnt kick on at first so I charged them a bit individually before the 36v charger would kick in. It did get to a charge of about 38.5v IIRC. I pulled it down the driveway and did a quick circle. Everything seemed to be working normal. As soon as i hit the driveway apron, very slight bump, it shut down, with only a little shutter when I press the pedal. I pushed it into the garage and when pressing the pedal the solenoid was still clicking and appears to be functioning. The batteries appeared to be holding a charge. But when checking them individually, turning lights on and off, the battery closest to the main negative cable drops down to 2 or 3 volts! Specific gravity is reading on the low side of the "Green" range, ~1.250, on my tester. I'm guessing I jarred something and have an open cell now?

The stamp on the battery looks like I5X. They are US2200 by US Battery. I'm assuming they are from 2015? They look very clean with no corrosion on the exterior.

I know it's best to change them all but since it might be an open cell as opposed to heavily sulfate batteries, should i press my luck with a single new battery? Or am i probably just going to end up with open cells in the rest since i already got one?

Thanks
n8huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Open cell in one battery - huge voltage drop under slight load - replace all?

I think you are best off buying a complete set given the abuse these have seen
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Open cell in one battery - huge voltage drop under slight load - replace all?

FWIW, pics of my $250 investment...
Thanks for the battery advice. Ill look to see what I can pick up a set of Trojans for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (202.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (197.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Whats the best place for batteries in Murrieta/Temecula area?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

With the cart being “new to you”, I would suggest buying a “good” used battery from a battery dealer and trying to get some more life out of your present pack.

When I bought my cart, I went through a couple of battery failures with my 4 year old, poorly maintained pack while I got to know and understand my cart. On the 3rd failure, I bit the bullet and bought a new pack. In my case, I did not want to spend the dollars up front and was happy with my approach.

If cost is not a factor or your operational requirement dictate you must get fully capacity from your pack, then a new pack is certainly an option.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check out Battery Systems 26151 Jefferson Ave, Murrieta, CA 92562 . Tell Ron I sent you.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8huntsman View Post
FWIW, pics of my $250 investment...
Thanks for the battery advice. Ill look to see what I can pick up a set of Trojans for.
Look in the drivers side cubby for a small plate revetted in there. If so tell us what it says. Also let us see the controller under the big cover on the passenger side. Some of the carts like yours came with a 400amp curtis controller and a hotter than standard motor. That cart looks like it could be one of them.
Looks to be in great shape for its age.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It sure does look to be the better 400a version.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Dang, you got a lot of cart for that price👍
Good find
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
n8huntsman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I forgot to get more pics last night. What were the different models called? Are you talking about the fleet vs freedom or was there a third option that i might have?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO