lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Brozzyb
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller Type/ Amperage

Hi all,
New to forum and new owner of a 2009 EZGO PDS. It is lifted with 23” tires and has the red chip in the controller. Drives great. I’m just trying to learn as much as i can about it to decide what I want to upgrade as I am reading these pds carts don’t necessarily like to be lifted with stock controllers. Motor is stock, Controller I am told by previous owner has been upgraded ( he doesn’t recall yo what) but I cannot see any identifying labels or marks on it to know what it is. Does anyone know how to ID what amps a controller is? Is there a meter test or Would a picture help?

Appreciate any help you can provide!
Brozzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Re: Controller Type/ Amperage

I’m sure the experts on here (not me) can identify with a picture.
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozzyb View Post
Is there a meter test or Would a picture help?

Pics please!
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Brozzyb
Not Yet Wild

Hopefully I uploaded correctly, please let me know if this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller.jpg (128.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Appears to be a stock Curtis 350 amp model 1206MX - standard 12-14 MPH ... just by the pic
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Appears to be a stock Curtis 350 amp model 1206MX - standard 12-14 MPH ... just by the pic
A stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) is a 300A device.
With the freedom chip (red wires) a PDS cart does 18.5 MPH on stock height (18") tires.

Attached is a picture of a stock PDS controller. The picture of the controller posted above, does not have the Curtis label between the B- and B+ terminal, so it may be an aftermarket rebuild and might have been upped to 350A, but there in no way of telling short of opening the unit and looking at the power board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock PDS controller-2.jpg (633.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Brozzyb
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I suppose that would be an upgrade from stock ( stock is what 275 or 300?) MPH is no problem, with the speed chip and 23” tires I’m at 18-19MPH Flat land. My main reason for wanting to know was reading that the pds carts don’t like lifted/ big tires + speed chip, so assuming all 3 of those hurt the controller I was curious where I was at and if I should upgrade. Seems folks recommend the 400amp for this setup. Hopefully the 350 buys me more time than stock before it goes.
Also trying to troubleshoot low runtime ( about 5 miles with significant power drop after 2-3) Batteries 2yrs old and year and test good so trying to understand what the tire/controller / freedom chip combo is attributing to this. I might try the hill chip for some regen and to not hurt motor when I’m doing 30mph downhill.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozzyb View Post
Hi all,
New to forum and new owner of a 2009 EZGO PDS. It is lifted with 23” tires and has the red chip in the controller. Drives great. I’m just trying to learn as much as i can about it to decide what I want to upgrade as I am reading these pds carts don’t necessarily like to be lifted with stock controllers. Motor is stock, Controller I am told by previous owner has been upgraded ( he doesn’t recall yo what) but I cannot see any identifying labels or marks on it to know what it is. Does anyone know how to ID what amps a controller is? Is there a meter test or Would a picture help?

When that remanufactured controller fails, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48500-PDS user programmable controller.

I suggested a 500A controller due to the 23" tires, but turn it down to 400A with a stock motor and turn it back up to 500A when you replace the stock motor with one suitable for turning 23" tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ah yes I couldn't remember if it was 300 or 350 so I went by the only one Nivel offers which is the 1206MX but is 350 AMP...I knew JohnnieB Would have some better info for ya
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Brozzyb
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both very much. Seems the previous owner who built the cart did the right thing by upgrading the controller and wires for the tires but didn’t know enough that a 350amp upgrade isn’t really an “upgrade”. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO