lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Snootalope
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV - No Reverse When Lights Are On

Got a 2015 RXV with a voltage reducer (running off the solenoid) which feeds the small lights on my cart. Everything works great, however if I have the lights on and attempt to go in reverse, it won't move. The buzzer comes on and things seem normal - just no movement. If I turn the lights off and switch the key off and then back on to reverse works fine. The lights I got on there are tiny LED's and hardly pull a thing so I really don't have any ideas other than the controller is sensing something out of normal and just says no with reverse. Forward always works fine though, lights on lights off doesn't matter. It's only reverse with the lights on..

I found this post https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166861 which one member states the same thing is happening on his 2015 RXV and I PM'd him as well. Almost wonder if it's something specific with the 2015's.

Anyone ran into this before?
Snootalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV - No Reverse When Lights Are On

I have a 2015 RXV as well with a reducer off solenoid. If i turn lights on before the key then i cant go Fwd or Rev. I just turn lights on after the key is on and I think sometimes if i turn the lights on before pressing the gas pedal it wont go.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are you just connecting the DC converter trigger wire to the Solenoid or are you powering the dc converter from the Solenoid?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Snootalope
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm powering the voltage reducer from the solenoid. The red/power on the reducer runs to the solenoid nut that has the bus bar down to the controller. Guess I'm not sure what the trigger wire would be though. Red & black for input (red runs to the solenoid) and then there's a yellow wire for output and that's what I've got my lights on.

This is the reducer I've got installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Snootalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "trigger wire" is a low current wire used to signal the converter to turn on the 12v output, the converters with the trigger wire are also called a "five wire" converter.

Your converter places a large load on that side of the Solenoid and also keeps the voltage up after the Solenoid is OFF since the its filter capacitors discharge into the controller.

I wonder if folks with the trigger wire reducers have the same issue.

If they do not have a problem, You can either upgrade the converter you have to a five wire or add a 48v relay to power your converter from the solenoid if you want to resolve the issue.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

From looking at the reducer link OP provided, the converter is always powered. It has red and black input which should be on the battery pack. It has yellow and black output which provides 12v to your lights, etc. Did you try hooking the red and black inputs to the battery pack instead of the solenoid?

ScottyBs Carts Unlimited sells a nice converter that is switched so not always powered. That's what I had on my Club Car and it worked great.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Connecting the converter to the Solenoid is to turn the lights/accessories OFF when the key switch is OFF.

Hopefully someone has a trigger wire converter on an RXV to verify if the problem exists with those converters as well.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yeah I get why OP was doing that to provide switched power. But OP could also connect it to the battery pack and see if it works. And if someone confirms a switched power converter works OP can buy that. I would have started with a switched power unit if that's how i wanted it to operate...
Old 10-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sergio, I know you have way more electrical knowledge than me. I was searching to try and help OP. I see a few RXV threads and they seem to use the solenoid (big terminal) with no issues. Could it be the OP's converter is not a quality unit and is messed up?
Old 10-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Connecting the converter to the Solenoid is to turn the lights/accessories OFF when the key switch is OFF.

Hopefully someone has a trigger wire converter on an RXV to verify if the problem exists with those converters as well.

Hi Sergio, I use the blue converter with the five wires and green trigger wire connected to load side of solenoid as he has done. On the six plus RXV lithium upgrades I have done, where I use it, no issues at all.

If I were to use that style on an RXV, I would use a 48VDC relay to control it and eliminate the problem he has. Or as SouthCo said, connect converter directly to pack unswitched to eliminate the problem.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO