lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #11
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1995 ezgo speed issues + motor identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The "stock '96 @ 17mph" must be a "freedom" cart from the factory. That was an option from the factory. Apparently this 10mph one didnt get that option box checked. Not every cart goes 17 from the factory, in fact, the vast majority do not go that fast (those speeds exceed ANSI ratings for a "golf cart" that is to be used on a golf course). I would guess that for every "freedom" cart sold (17-19.5 mph), there are 10 "fleet" carts sold (speed to never exceed 14mph, usually 12mph).
Serious question. With these mid to late 90's series carts what is the actual difference with the drive systems btw 'freedom' and 'fleet'? My cart has a non-heavy duty FnR switch, a Curtis 25864G05 controller, stock black AMD motor, and 6 gauge cables (4 gauge btw batteries).

EDIT: Apparently my cart must have the 3.3 hp motor as opposed to the 2.5 hp motor. A little more researched showed that the 'freedom' txt's could be had with either motor but only the 2.5hp was available to 'fleet'.
webwarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I have the same cart as yours.
I have mismatch battery issues with mine,
going to take care of that in a few weeks.

A picture of your batteries and cables also
could help the experts here diagnose your issue.

Sorry for the delay , here's a photo of the batteries. The have 2 guage wire, and new last year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0817.jpeg (301.4 KB, 0 views)
tbluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So is there a difference between the 1995 Medalist Series motor and a 1998 TXT series motor?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #14
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwarmiller View Post
Serious question. With these mid to late 90's series carts what is the actual difference with the drive systems btw 'freedom' and 'fleet'? My cart has a non-heavy duty FnR switch, a Curtis 25864G05 controller, stock black AMD motor, and 6 gauge cables (4 gauge btw batteries).

EDIT: Apparently my cart must have the 3.3 hp motor as opposed to the 2.5 hp motor. A little more researched showed that the 'freedom' txt's could be had with either motor but only the 2.5hp was available to 'fleet'.

I'm curious what they do to the cart to five it that extra speed? Ive read in certain threads or talking to people about some sort of "chip" but that doesn't make any sense to me based on all the threads i've read here....
Old 10-15-2020, 10:27 PM   #15
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluge View Post
I'm curious what they do to the cart to five it that extra speed? Ive read in certain threads or talking to people about some sort of "chip" but that doesn't make any sense to me based on all the threads i've read here....
With series carts there is no "chip" or "speed magnet". You get what you get based on your motor, controller, solenoid, FnR, and cables. I have a BD4-4001 motor which I now know is the 3.3HP "high speed" motor (17-18mph) that was an option for EZGO at the time. Take a look at your motor's label to get he part #. You most likely have the "normal' 2.5HP motor (13-14mph). This is still greater than the 10mph you are currently getting.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:29 PM   #16
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwarmiller View Post
With series carts there is no "chip" or "speed magnet". You get what you get based on your motor, controller, solenoid, FnR, and cables. I have a BD4-4001 motor which I now know is the 3.3HP "high speed" motor (17-18mph) that was an option for EZGO at the time. Take a look at your motor's label to get he part #. You most likely have the "normal' 2.5HP motor (13-14mph). This is still greater than the 10mph you are currently getting.
Ahhh, nice - ok that makes sense. Thanks for replying! There must be a bottle neck somewhere. I'll do some more testing and invistigating .

Any thoughts on re-winding the motor through someplace like Plumbquick's Bandit https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/ ?
Old 10-16-2020, 03:21 AM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Wow, I didnt think this would get the response it did. It was a different motor for the "faster ones". A different motor, not a cheat code, or a "chip" ("chip" isnt real, it was just "wire jumpers"). For newer ones, "chip" is 'kind of real' for stock 48v carts. The older ones that could get the easy speed-up were the PDS carts anyway, not yours.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Any thoughts on re-winding the motor through someplace like Plumbquick's Bandit https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/ ?
I've researched this a bit as well for myself and a couple of friends. EMP is another option (http://empinc.biz/) for rebuilding your motor. People seem quite pleased with both (perhaps slight edge to EMP). You should call both places and discuss what you currently have and what you are hoping to achieve. From what I've read both companies will let you know if what you are looking for is possible or not. Before calling, definitely get all the info that's on the motor's label so you can let them know exactly what you have.

FWIW, my plan forward is to wait for a good deal on a 48v TXT and then sell my 36v series cart. It'll be cheaper than upgrading my current cart to get the performance I'm looking for.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sorry for the delay , here's a photo of the batteries. The have 2 guage wire, and new last year...
Cables look good.

Have you checked the water level on the batteries.

Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #20
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Cables look good.

Have you checked the water level on the batteries.

Hi, yes the water level is good....1/4 inch above top of lead...or plates or what ever you call them , sorry :)

Tags
1995, ezgo, identification, reverse, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO