lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2007 EZGO TXT PDS Draining batteries!!!!

Recently bought a 07 TXT PDS and find that the charge is not lasting at all and is terrible on any sort of incline. Charged batteries until charger shows full and voltage is 6.3V at each battery after being seperated from eachother for 3 hours and when wired together total voltage is 38.2v, seems to me the charger is working but I am new to Golf Carts and would like a little assistance before throwing money into this thing, thanks for any help.
Dravenspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 EZGO TXT PDS Draining batteries!!!!

How old are the batteries?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Was told 2 years old
Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Attached are pics of the battery label and current voltage readings while charger shows fully charged and still hooked up and without charger hooked up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201018_192138.jpg (200.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201018_194301.jpg (113.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201018_194304.jpg (111.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Wait about 2 hours after the charger shuts off, or is disconnected, to measure the battery voltages. Here is a SoC (State of Charge) chart.

A fully charged 36V battery pack reads about 38.2V for Trojan brand batteries, however SoC doesn't tell you what the storage capacity is and storage capacity is what determines runtime.

First find out what the SoC is, then measure what the pack voltage drops to when climbing a hill.

-------------
You mentioned something about the batteries being separated and then wired back together. Why were they disconnected from each other?

What make/model 36V charger are you using?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Hi thanks for the response, I may have worded it incorrectly but i fully charged the batteries until charger showed full and started blinking green, will send charger info shortly, after fully charged i allowed the batteries to rest for roughly 3 hours and disconnected one wire from each battery to make sure i had each individual voltage and they all read 6.3XX volts then i connected everything back together and read the whole pack and it was 38.2V. The readings above in pics were while the whole pack was connected correctly and charger on stating full with blinking green light and then i took another reading with charger disconnected about 5 mins after, hope this helps to explain a little. Also yesterday my son drove it after being fully charged and he said it lasted a little longer than first time we drove it after purchasing and that it went up the hill alot better in reverse for some reason
Old 10-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

So i would assume the SOC is 38.2V being that was the voltage after resting off the charger for 3 hours, I will have to get some gator clips and lead extensions to perform the readings while climbing a hill, also plan on getting a hydrometer to verify electrolytes are good, but with the SOC being what it is I would hope that means electrolytes are good. I just feel like and hope that there is something other than the batteries wrong here.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravenspop View Post
Hi thanks for the response, I may have worded it incorrectly but i fully charged the batteries until charger showed full and started blinking green, will send charger info shortly, after fully charged i allowed the batteries to rest for roughly 3 hours and disconnected one wire from each battery to make sure i had each individual voltage and they all read 6.3XX volts then i connected everything back together and read the whole pack and it was 38.2V. The readings above in pics were while the whole pack was connected correctly and charger on stating full with blinking green light and then i took another reading with charger disconnected about 5 mins after, hope this helps to explain a little. Also yesterday my son drove it after being fully charged and he said it lasted a little longer than first time we drove it after purchasing and that it went up the hill alot better in reverse for some reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravenspop View Post
So i would assume the SOC is 38.2V being that was the voltage after resting off the charger for 3 hours, I will have to get some gator clips and lead extensions to perform the readings while climbing a hill, also plan on getting a hydrometer to verify electrolytes are good, but with the SOC being what it is I would hope that means electrolytes are good. I just feel like and hope that there is something other than the batteries wrong here.
You don't need to disconnect the batteries to get individual voltage readings.

When a battery is charged it acquires what is known as a surface charge and it takes several hours for the artificially high voltage to dissipate through the battery's self discharging. So any voltage reading taken before about 12 hours of rest, is going to be artificially high and useless for estimating SoC.

Almost the opposite is true when the battery is discharged. The higher the amp draw, the lower the battery voltage drops, but the recovery time is less, about 1 hour.

When charging, the electrolyte in intimate contact with the plates is acquiring sulfate ions and until those ions are distributed to the rest of the electrolyte, the electrolyte closest to the plates will have a higher SG. which is in turn reflected as a higher voltage at the battery's terminals. When discharging, the electrolyte next top the plates is giving up sulfate ions, so it acquires a lower SG until the electrolyte reaches an equilibrium.

----------
Whether the battery has a storage capacity of 10AH or 10,000AH, the voltage will be the same.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Attached are pics of charger that I am using. Thanks for all the info. So I will retake voltage readings when I get home today from work that will be roughly 24 hours since last full charge and no use of cart at all. Also is it possible for me to complete the load test by raising the rear end off the ground instead of purchasing gator clips and leads etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG951145.jpg (82.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG951149.jpg (172.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Just had my son take readings , cart has been off the charger for 19 hours now with no use
1-6.30v
2-6.27v
3-6.26v
4-6.28v
5-6.31v
6-6.25v
Whole Pack is 37.68v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO