lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1993 36 volt EZ GO – Low pack voltage and no go

Hi guys, I haven't visited the forum in quite awhile.

Here’s the back ground. The cart was running fine when I accidentally drove over a huge root along the road (yes, I was sober ) and tore out the entire battery tray. I repaired the tray and put the batteries back in.

All batteries show 6.4 volts. The dash gauge shows full charge, but pack voltage with the multimeter only shows 32.1 volts, so naturally the cart doesn’t run. When plugging in the charger, pack voltage shows it’s putting out 40 volts, but the needle on the charger never goes down, so I’m guessing the charger isn’t sensing a full charge. When on charge, the voltage jumps on all individual batteries so it would seem they are receiving a charge. I’ve triple checked the battery wiring diagram and I’m confident the batteries are wired correctly.

My multimeter is good as I checked pack voltage on my other cart and it is normal.

Also. as soon as I turn the key on, the solenoid clicks. I don’t remember it doing that.

I’m stumped as to why I'm not getting full pack voltage.
Longie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Csaavedra
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1993 36 volt EZ GO – Low pack voltage and no go

Sounds like the throttle swith is broken. Mine did the same and that is what is was
Csaavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaavedra View Post
Sounds like the throttle peddle switch is broken. Mine did the same and that is what is was
I'm not sure what the throttle peddle switch is. Would that prevent getting full pack voltage as it's sitting without the key turned on?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check that you didn't wire one of the batteries backwards. May sound silly, but it's an easy mistake to make and I've seen it several times.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Check that you didn't wire one of the batteries backwards. May sound silly, but it's an easy mistake to make and I've seen it several times.
Thanx for the reply, but I've triple checked the battery wiring. And as I said, when I plug in the charger, all batteries show increased voltage during/after a charge. But checking pack voltage, it seems there is one battery "missing".
Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
Csaavedra
Not Yet Wild

Commented on wrong post
Csaavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you possibly damage one of the battery posts? You say each battery is 6.4 but pack voltage is 32? Meter around the series until you see where you’re not getting a multiple of 6.4.

The solenoid activation circuit, assuming series:
Reed switch
F/r micro
Key switch
Pedal switch micro
Solenoid
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If you replaced the entire battery tray on that cart you probably moved/unhooked a lot of wires. I'm with meimke, it sounds like you almost have to have a battery turned wrong or something not wired correctly. Can you post a photo so everybody can see it?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 AM   #9
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If you replaced the entire battery tray on that cart you probably moved/unhooked a lot of wires. I'm with meimke, it sounds like you almost have to have a battery turned wrong or something not wired correctly. Can you post a photo so everybody can see it?

I’ll see if I can borrow a camera and take a pic.

But in the meantime: The only wires/cables I disconnected were those connected directly to the batteries. I printed out the wiring diagram from the stickies and again, I’m confident the batteries are wired correctly.

I’m also assuming if they weren’t wired correctly, the individual voltages wouldn’t increase as they were receiving a surface charge?

I don’t understand why the solenoid clicks as soon as the key is turned on.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Cant help with the solenoid issue, but may be to do with the odd voltages. The only time i have seen this is when one battery was connected in reverse. batteries will reverse polarity regardless of what many may think. I went to a customer years ago with the exact same voltage symptoms and all i did was rewire the incorrect battery and after a couple of full charges back to back, the pack was back to normal
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO