lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive 3 charger 3 wire to 2 wire connector

I have an 88 marathon that I have upgraded to 48v. A friend gave me a powerdrive 3 charger that was for his old club car.
I want to put the correct 2 prong plug on this charger. I have cut the plug off and put ring terminals on the wires. The three wires are red 48+, black 48-, and blue which is labeled disconnect. If I put the blue with the black the charger turns on and charges the batteries at 15 amps. I am unsure if it will turn off when the batteries are charged however. Will it power down when batteries are full? If not is there a way to make it so? If not how long should I charge the batteries for? They are trojan 8 volt.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive 3 charger 3 wire to 2 wire connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
I have an 88 marathon that I have upgraded to 48v. A friend gave me a powerdrive 3 charger that was for his old club car.
I want to put the correct 2 prong plug on this charger. I have cut the plug off and put ring terminals on the wires. The three wires are red 48+, black 48-, and blue which is labeled disconnect. If I put the blue with the black the charger turns on and charges the batteries at 15 amps. I am unsure if it will turn off when the batteries are charged however. Will it power down when batteries are full? If not is there a way to make it so? If not how long should I charge the batteries for? They are trojan 8 volt.
It will NOT ever shut itself off. If you got creative, and knew what you were doing you might be able to insert a EZGO type control board and relay, but as is that charger is on all the time. It was designed to work in concert with an On Board Computer that told the charger when to turn on, turn off, and at what rate of charge. The OBC would measure the amount of energy used from the battery pack and determine the rate and length of charge based on that. Best you can do is baby sit the pack with a volt meter and make your best guess. Going through normal stages of charging it would top out around 64 volts before it shut off, but hotwired as you have it it might never get to a "finish charge" and lower the amperage rate.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

What would be a safe voltage to cut off the charger at? I unplugged when I saw the voltage at 57 volts but as you said it was still at 15 amps. And I did not want to over charge the batteries. After about 12 hrs the pack was sitting at 49.5 volts. Which led me to believe they were not fully charged. I read somewhere on here full should be about 50.8 volts.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You cannot use that charger without the OBC to properly charge the batteries.

The reason for that is that the OBC does not really "tell the charger what rate to charge" but instead it controls the charging rate.

If You only use the "bulk" current to charge You will not get more than 80% charge as the surface voltage will get higher than the actual battery.

As soon as the surface charge dissipates the actual battery charge will be lower.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

What would be a good replacement for a 48v charger with a 2 wire sb 50 plug?
Old 11-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
What would be a good replacement for a 48v charger with a 2 wire sb 50 plug?
Lester Summit-II: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/lester-summit-ii.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO