lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

Default Forward/Reverse switch

While "fixing" a loose connection I snapped off one of the copper studs on the F/R switch, apparently it got cooked and the nut wasn't coming off. There is mild discoloration around a few of the studs I was hopefully attributing to loose connections. I want to just clean it up and order new copper studs. Is there a way to tell a stock F/R switch from a "beefed up" one they sell? I bought this used about 6 years ago, its a 02 Freedom non PDS. Thanks in advance. Pete
CaptainPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Forward/Reverse switch

Since your current F\R switch is ten years old, and has "scorch marks" on it, I would suggest you replace it with a new one. Check out the one's that ScottyB sells here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html and before you buy it, send ScottyB a PM telling him the specifics of your cart so you are sure you buy the correct replacement part.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Captain, The rotary switch everybody sells as beefed up has 60% less amperage handling and cooling capacity than my HD EZ575 F&R.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

Scotty thanks for the schooling, Im old but still teachable I am told. I agree that the Westerns upgraded controllers, solenoids but failed to upgrade the F/R switch. I anxiously await the arrival of your switch. Thank you!!!!
CaptainPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We did the majority of our Ezgo F&R data research using the Western cart. The Westerns had bigger motors and were heavier which resulted in higher amperage draw and increased component temperature which was perfect for our heat tests.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I got mine from scottyb for my Western. You will notice the difference!
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

All I can tell you guys is that I use my cart for climbing very steep hills when hunting. So...when I toasted my second F\R switch I went to the SD reversing contactors. These are THE ticket if your cart draws heavy amps.

But, if your light duty F\R switch lasted that long, it's doubtful you will need the reversing contactor unless your driving habits have changed. Or....you now have a teenager who thinks climbing cliffs is "way cool"

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO