lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Mcvd02
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 EZGO 36 Volt TXT PDS Controller Smoked!!

I removed old batteries about a week ago and replaced with brand new set last night. I work in the electric utility field and the standard on a DC system is Black is positive and white is negative. EEK!! Was not the case with this cart, I probably should have looked at some prints instead of assuming. Anyways I was wonder if I should get the controller rebuilt or does ScottyB have something at his store for me? Here is the link to a place that rebuilds. My make and model is right below that. My cart is all stock no modifications as far as suspension etc.. Thanks

[URL="http://www.go ]www.golfcarcatalog.com/produc...ontroller.html

2001 EZGO
36 volt
Make: TXT
Model: TXT Standard (PDS)
Mcvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO 36 Volt TXT PDS Controller Smoked!!

Just curious, but which black and white wires did you reverse?

Don't waste your time and money with a rebuilt controller, install a XCT400PDS, or larger.

You'll get about 24 MPH with stock height tires and a stock PDS motor at 36V, but can set the RPM limit to a lower speed if so desired.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Mcvd02
Not Yet Wild

When I removed the batteries I taped all the leads together from each + terminal and - terminal. The white and black wires were coming from the charging receptacle. I didn't pay attention when I took off and just assumed they were as I know them to be Black (positive) and white (negative).

Does Scottyb sell the XCT400PDS? If not where is the best place to purchase?
Old 06-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes we sell these controls and we have have the lowest price, and install instruction written by myself after doing the install and documented install pictures on this forum. If there anything else you need in a vendor let me know.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Mcvd02
Not Yet Wild

Done!! Ordered the package #808 from you Scotty. Thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcvd02 View Post
When I removed the batteries I taped all the leads together from each + terminal and - terminal. The white and black wires were coming from the charging receptacle. I didn't pay attention when I took off and just assumed they were as I know them to be Black (positive) and white (negative).

Does Scottyb sell the XCT400PDS? If not where is the best place to purchase?
Apparently, there are different schools of thought about the wire colors in DC circuits.

I've been retired for several years, so I'm not current with the more recent versions of NFPA-70 (National Electric Code), but I don't remember there being a codified standard that identified wire colors for DC.

Can you point to a reference for black being positive? (I haven't been able to find one.)
Old 06-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most DC I have worked with uses black for negative. It's AC circuits that use black for the hot and white for neutral.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
rib33024

I wanted to know where they use black for POS on a DC circuit, never heard of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Apparently, there are different schools of thought about the wire colors in DC circuits.

I've been retired for several years, so I'm not current with the more recent versions of NFPA-70 (National Electric Code), but I don't remember there being a codified standard that identified wire colors for DC.

Can you point to a reference for black being positive? (I haven't been able to find one.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Most DC I have worked with uses black for negative. It's AC circuits that use black for the hot and white for neutral.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: 2001 EZGO 36 Volt TXT PDS Controller Smoked!!

I want to know how he taped all the connections up off the batteries but then swapped them when reinstalling!

Quote:

How does the charger cables burn up the controller?
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
1. I want to know how he taped all the connections up off the batteries but then swapped them when reinstalling!

2. How does the charger cables burn up the controller?
1. I can understand it. He taped the white wire from the charger receptacle to the B+ cable and the Black wire from the charger receptacle to the B- cable when he took the batteries out and then connected the White wire (with B+ cable taped to it) to the B- terminal on the new battery pack after he put them in place. And connected the Black wire (with B- cable taped to it) to the B+ terminal.

2. The controller smoked because B- and B+ cables were reversed. The only role the Black and White wires from the charge receptacle played in the incident was causing the main B- and B+ cables to be reconnected in the wrong places on the new battery pack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO