lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
perkdiggler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1994 E Z GO Marathon

So I just bought my first golf cart. It's a 1994 E Z GO Marathon 36V. I picked it up for $325 as a project cart and basically I am starting this thread as a way to document my progress. It will probably be a few weeks before I can really begin working on it as I have some other projects to finish up before winter starts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160925_170206.jpg (210.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160925_170116.jpg (201.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160925_140630.jpg (193.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160925_170142.jpg (209.5 KB, 0 views)
perkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1994 E Z GO Marathon

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
RODNEY HUTCHINS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you on golf cart yet ? Looking for some new pics..... Got me 92' marathon about 2 weeks ago. Yeah, i know about previous projects... Lol !!!!!
RODNEY HUTCHINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
perkdiggler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No, I haven't started yet. I'll probably start on in in November or December.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
perkdiggler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, so it took me a bit longer to get started than I had planned but here we go...

The cart came without batteries or a charger and a few missing parts. The missing parts aren't a big deal as I know I can find them on various sites such as ebay, Craigslist, ETC... The motor was not installed, and the previous owner said he sent it in to a friend who works on electric motors to have it checked out and claimed it was good. I installed the motor and noticed that the cables were a bit more corroded than I originally thought. I am currently replacing all the cables with 2ga. Once I have that complete I intend to hook up (3) 12 volt batteries which I have laying around just to see if it runs, before I spend the $$ on new batteries.

Eventually I plan on stripping it down to the frame, repainting everything, and install a lift kit with bigger tires. I am also considering upgrading to 48v but I have not made up my mind just yet. I have been doing some research here and it looks like, if I am going to upgrade to 48v. now is the time to do it. The problem is, I am on a tight budget and hope to do all of these upgrades in stages over the next 2-3 years. Any input on the process would be greatly appreciated.

The cart will be used primarily on our families vacation lot in central WI. The property is 5.25, wooded, flat, sandy acres, with a fishing pond about 1/4 down the road. I am a large guy and so is my father, so I am guessing the 48v upgrade will be well worth it.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If your going to 48v your going to need another motor. That old 36v motor just won't work.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My marathon is on 48v with the stock 36v motor it works great, some people have used them for years with no problems, I have had mine on 48v for 2 months now and it's not even getting warm, if you stall it out you would burn one out but with normal use I think you will be fine for quite awhile.
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #8
hturner12
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Another 1994 long-term project. I got mine sitting on block and jackstands at the height wife is comfortable with. Ordered the 4 " economy lift from Buggies Unlimited when it was on sale and ended up with free shipping. Open the box checked to make everything was there then took it to the backroom for storage
hturner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i would think any good build starts with a good foundation-is the frame rust free and solid?

if you want to increase tire size on a stock rear gear ratio-you may want to have a motor in the budget...just in case.

if you dont have a grand or 2 for the project-you will probably end up with a weak link...

get real clear on what you want out of your build and there are plenty of guys on here that can help you evaluate EXACTLY what you will need to get those expectations met-what it will cost,ect...

good luck and i hope to see the progress as it continues
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
If your going to 48v your going to need another motor. That old 36v motor just won't work.
It has been my experience that a 36v series motor loves 48v! I ran mine on 48v for 3 years until my controller failed this summer.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO