lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
bigmac#11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default tire size

not sure how to read what my actual tire size is any help would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170525_110551.jpg (200.4 KB, 0 views)
bigmac#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: tire size

18x8.5-8 Means 18" tall, 8.5" wide on an 8" rim
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The numbers embossed on the sidewalls are only approximate and the height may be off by an inch or more in either direction.
The tire width is closer to actual and rim size is mighty close.

As mentioned, the first number indicates the tire diameter (height), but my tires have exactly the same numbers and are only 17" tall.

Making matter worse, the MTD (Mounted Tire Diameter) given on the manufacturer's website is 18.3", which is even further for the actual height than the numbers on their sidewall.

The only way to find out how tall your tires are is to measure them.

Using a yardstick and level is usually close enough, but to get the effective tire height under actual driving conditions, measure how far the cart travels per tire revolution and divide by Pi.

There is only room for four complete tire revolutions on the sidewalk between my house and garage, so I measured the distance of travel with me driving cart for four revolutions (214.125"), divided by 4 and then divided by 3.14159265358979 to get a dynamic diameter of 17.0395260947761"
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You can also place a chalk mark on the tire, and measure the starting and ending point. I'd go several revolutions for more precision. This is useful if you have a speedometer.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO