lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
wsettle
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV higher torque motor?

I had a 2003 TXT with a D&D high torque motor and a 400A Alltrax controller that gave me billy goat torque when navigating the steep hills in my Arkansas neighborhood. Top end was maybe 15mph which was fine as I used it as a work horse. That cart was destroyed by high winds several years ago and I am finally looking to buy another cart.

After reading several threads, I believe I will be looking for an RXV as they can be had for much less than a newer one like an S4. It looks like I need to find a 2014 or newer as the factory fixed some lingering issues but not sure.

Will the factory brushless motor, with new 8V Trojans and 2ga wires pull 25% grades easily with the stock controller that has been reprogrammed? (My TXT would)

Or will I need an aftermarket motor and/or controller to get the torque to pull steep hills?

Appreciate any info. Thanks!
wsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV higher torque motor?

Good question and I'll follow this thread.

I have one of the older "problematic" RXVs (2010 Danaher controlled) It works great. Does 25.4 MPH per my GPS on 20.5" tires (which is a tad more than I typically drive in my community)

I don't have 25% grades but am surprised at how strong and constant this AC drive system is.

I've not heard of high torque motors for the AC drive, but he old OEM motor is no slouch.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Roger1224
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

my 2019 rxv really shines on grades with no speed loss whatsoever, 20 1/2 inch tall tires runs flat out at 23 mph gps and get there in a hurry.
Roger1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
wsettle
Not Yet Wild

I finally found one that I am going to take a look at tomorrow. It's a 2014 with 2019 12V trojans in it. I have found where to check date codes for both so I will verify those things.

Is there anything I need to check or watch out for, that is a common issue while I'm looking it over and doing a test drive?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If it sounds like it has a noisy axle at speed, it is a noisy axle. Dont let them tell you "it's just normal", or "it's just.......", negotiate price accordingly.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
wsettle
Not Yet Wild

Thanks cgtech, I'll definitely listen for that. He says it's like new. haha.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
wsettle
Not Yet Wild

I ended up buying the 2014 RXV basic fleet model, from a grounds keeper/mechanic for a golf course. It did have batteries dated July 2019 so that should last me for a while. Nice enough fellow and we drove all over the paved paths around and through the property and it was very smooth and quiet. i.e. no noisy gears. It had the occasional squeak when going over bumps and hitting chuck holes and sounded like a rear spring so it did not concern me.

He said that he had the controller unlocked for "freedom" mode and my phone GPS says it would do 18-19 mph up or down grades so that was nice.

I loaded it up in my truck bed and drove home through 2 hours of unbelievably heavy rain. When I got home, and turned the key to reverse, it was dead. Switched it a few times from reverse to forward and finally heard the buzzer. Started backing down the ramp and it stops 1/2 way down and the brake set. Played with the key a little more and it turned back on and I was able to get off the ramps and drove it around the yard where it stopped again, like I had turned off the key.

So, I will get my VM out and test some things but I am assuming that water got in the key switch on the dash. Is this something that can't take water well or is something electronic under the seat prone to water damage from traveling in the rain?

The seat was down but at 60 mph and raining hard, I did find a little water on the batteries and controller so it seeped in.

It's in the garage now drying out but curious what is most susceptible to rain water when traveling. Key switch, controller, something else I need to check?

I'll post a picture but honestly, there are already so many pics on this board that look just like it. Oh, it's green with a tan top so I bet that is unique
Old 08-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
rngilliland
Gone Wild

When it won't run look at the charge port. If the green led is lit the controller thinks the charger is plugged in. I got water in the connector for one of the wires on the back of the charge port. The cart wouldn't run and the green led was lit. Once the connection dried out everything was back to normal.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, about the RXV keyswitch, I cant even count how many times I've heard "it must be the keyswitch", but I can roughly recall how many "actually bad" keyswitches I've had to replace, I think I can do it with the fingers on one hand, two hands at max. This is over a 10+ year period.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
wsettle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
When it won't run look at the charge port. If the green led is lit the controller thinks the charger is plugged in. I got water in the connector for one of the wires on the back of the charge port. The cart wouldn't run and the green led was lit. Once the connection dried out everything was back to normal.
Good call. That would have taken the full force of the rain at speed so it would have definitely been soaked. I didn't even know it had an LED on the port. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO