lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #1
Lu Bedevia
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Screw Up 2011 RXV

Well I pulled a boneheaded rookie mistake that I am still pissed about.

Was connecting batteries after replacing my body and crossed the negative of battery 4 and positive of battery one with my socket. This caused a melted terminal and holes in the top of 2 batteries due to the fire that was the insulation burning off the wires.

I did not have the positive hooked up yet to the controller/charger/accessories so I am thinking I am good there.

Question is the condition of the other two batteries?

Best part. Batteries are 4 weeks old. 😎

Last edited by Lu Bedevia; 06-26-2020 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Forgot Model of cart
Lu Bedevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery Screw Up 2011 RXV

You destroyed everything..... just kidding

You did screw up, but it can be solved , and it wont be a million bucks either. (Probably not, if your description of the story was honest).

If you "zapped terminals" all you have to do is fix the terminals. It can be fixed, and the battery itself is ok, (and the neighbors are ok too) only the terminal needs repairs. Look into "I melted my terminal" repairs as an idea of what you are looking at. I have done so many repairs of that nature I cant even count, with success. (I dont do the "wood screw" version of the repair, but it has worked for some). The repair should afford a 5/16" bolt size connection, like the factory offered, no smaller.

Dont feel too bad, you aren't the first one to have to do this type of repair.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Lu Bedevia
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You destroyed everything..... just kidding

You did screw up, but it can be solved , and it wont be a million bucks either. (Probably not, if your story was honest).

If you "zapped terminals" all you have to do is fix the terminals. It can be fixed, and the battery itself is ok, (and the neighbors are ok too) only the terminal needs repairs. Look into "I melted my terminal" repairs as an idea of what you are looking at. I have done so many repairs of that nature I cant even count, with success. (I dont do the "wood screw" version of the repair, but it has worked for some).
Well there is a heart attack at 6:37 in the morning. 😂😂

One more piece I realized I forgot to put in there was my socket was welded to it for about 45 seconds before I could bang it off there with a hammer. Still no worries?

I have to replace 2 batts as the wires broke and put 2 holes in the top of the case. Good news about my other two batts. I will replace them today with all new cables and have a good weekend at the campground.

Thank you for your quick response.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, this is shady, but I have seen "holes patched", I have never done that... it's super "shady". The things I've seen over the many years fixing these carts may amaze you.

Consider taking a cheap wrench of that size & wrapping the "handle end" with electrical tape, keep it around for checking terminals (which you should do about every few months normally, and after the first week or 2 after a new installation) ,
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
Lu Bedevia
Not Yet Wild

That is shady. My wife says I’m cheap. But I’m not that cheap. Your wrench option was already designated last night after I was hoping I didn’t blow anything up.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I purchased a composite ratchet handle from HF just for work around battery terminals. It is non-conductive and actually a very nice ratchet that won't break the bank.

Wrapping a conventional handle with heat shrink tube or tape is also an excellent idea.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Do you have any pictures to share ... and scare the rest of us into being extra careful?

ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I once lost a DeWalt drill while attempting to drill a hole to repair a melted lead post by drilling and tapping in a 5/16s bolt. I went too deep, something shorted, the drill bit got stuck and by that time it was shooting sparks and heat and I ran away and abandoned the drill. By the time the battery discharged all that was left was a ball of greenish plastic, what was left of the NiCd battery pack, and a seriously hot battery that didn't cool down until 7 hours later.

I ended up paying for that out of my pay. Since I've been nervous but use cheap Wal-Mart drills now.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO