lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Default Simple brake switch using a starter switch

I know I'm not the first to use a starter button as a brake switch but I figured I would go ahead and post with specifics for those who might be interested (please forgive the gigantic pics).

I've got a '96 series with the freedom package minus the turn signals and brake switch. This means I do have the factory wiring harness underneath the cup holders as well as the fuse box/horn under the drivers seat. I added the missing fuse to the red wire at the factory fuse block and the red wire under the cup holders now had 12v. I connected it to the brown wire in the harness expecting the brake lights to come on, but they didn't. I checked the wiring at the taillights and they were wired as if I had turn signals. A simple swap of the red wire from both tail lights to the brown wire and now the brake lights lit up. This was just a simple matter of unplugging the red wire from the white (driver) and yellow (passenger) light and then plugging into the brown wire...all wires already have connectors on them.

Ok, so now for the switch. I ran wires from the red and brown wires under the cup holders along the factory harness down to where the brake pedal was. At first I was planning on one of those made for golf carts brake pedal pads but the reviews weren't great with a most complaints being that they don't trigger the switch under light pressure. Thanks to this forum I saw a least two other members have use starter switches mounted into the brake pedal. So that's the route I went.

I bought a Cole Hersee 90030 switch from O'Reily Auto (Amz has as well)...was able to order Sat morning at 8am and it was ready for pickup at 2pm that same day.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...starter+switch

There are holes in the back of the brake pedal on both the left and right side. I noticed my foot always lands on the right half so that's the side I chose to mount the switch. From the backside I used a small awl to poke through the rubber brake pad as centered in the hole as possible. I then used a 1 1/8" hole saw to cut through the rubber brake pad using the hole made above above as my guide. This is to fit the screw on rubber cap for the switch.

Next I used a stepped drill bit to drill out the factory hole to 5/8" to fit the threaded shaft of the switch (sorry for fuzzy pic):

Now it was a simple matter of attaching the switch and connecting the wires:

Before installing the switch I connected everything up to determine where the switch engaged. The switch has about 1/2" of travel and engages at about 1/8" of initial travel. This is what I was hoping for as I didn't want to have to mash the pedal for the brake lights to come on. Installed, the brake lights come on with just slight pressure; if any brake is being applied they will definitely come on. Another concern was if the switch would be uncomfortable. I'm happy to report that with shoes on it is barely noticeable and even barefoot isn't bad at all. My biggest concern is with how long the rubber cap on the switch will last since brakes are used quite often.

FWIW, I'm using these cheap LED bulbs and they function quite well:
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-115...omotive&sr=1-1
webwarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Simple brake switch using a starter switch

Embedding those huge images in your post make them nearly impossible view and your post extremely difficult to read.

Attache images (especially large ones) to you post as attachments using the paperclip circled in the attached image.

That way only a thumbnail sized image is seen until it is clicked on, then it fills the screen of what ever the reader is viewing the post on, and can be enlarged to full resolution if so desired. Doing so also sizes your post so it can be read without horizontal scrolling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paperclip circled.jpg (53.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO