lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Default Reduced Range on Batteries after One Year?

I've had my EZGO RXV since August 2019 and it gets used heavily as I play a lot of golf. Went out and played 36 holes yesterday in about 6.5 hours in 40-45 deg weather and noticed a big slow down when going up hills towards the end. Just trying to determine if this is normal or something I should be concerned with. I don't recall having a problem using it for 36 holes regardless of weather but this was the first really cold day I played 36 since March or April. I do have a reminder to check water levels on my batteries every month and have been filling as needed. Thanks in advance for any advice!
bhj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Default Re: Reduced Range on Batteries after One Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj83 View Post
I've had my EZGO RXV since August 2019 and it gets used heavily as I play a lot of golf. Went out and played 36 holes yesterday in about 6.5 hours in 40-45 deg weather and noticed a big slow down when going up hills towards the end. Just trying to determine if this is normal or something I should be concerned with. I don't recall having a problem using it for 36 holes regardless of weather but this was the first really cold day I played 36 since March or April. I do have a reminder to check water levels on my batteries every month and have been filling as needed. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cold weather will make a difference on battery life. If you play a lot of golf like me, then after a year or two your batteries will struggle to make it 36 holes. I go thru a set about ever two years or so. Basically I trade the batteries when they fail to make it 27 holes. Most people these batteries would last another couple of years but I like to play a lot of golf and frequently play 36 or more.
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

David, have you looked into lithium? As often as your replacing batteries, I would think a lithium pack would be perfect for you.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
David, have you looked into lithium? As often as your replacing batteries, I would think a lithium pack would be perfect for you.
That is my plan whenever it comes time to replace, but I figured I had a few years before even thinking about that. Do they last a lot longer in addition to not having to perform the annoying maintenance?
Old 10-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I have a 105AH and it lasts about 40 miles (thru woods mostly).
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From the Trojan co.

I think there may be a new version of this in the Trojan Battery User Guide but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Temp vs Storage Capacity.jpg (81.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Yes, I was looking for a roypow 160 in the spring. Waited for months ended up getting Trojans as a replacement. I will get Lithium when these run out for sure.
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
From the Trojan co.

I think there may be a new version of this in the Trojan Battery User Guide but you get the idea.
Thanks for that chart. I guess that could somewhat explain what I'm experiencing. We've gone from it being over 80 (even close to 100) all summer and I've been out there playing 36 a lot of days so maybe that has reduced my lifespan. Things I didn't realize when I bought this golf cart just over a year ago.

Do lithiums have the same issues with temps and lifespan reduction in high temps?
Old 10-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, when its really hot, the batteries are performing better than 100% rated capacity as far as range so when the temp drops the decrease in range is even more pronounced. The high temps do stress the batteries according to the manufacturers. However, only one year seems shorter than average even in the hot conditions. Battery life of 2-3 years instead of an average 4-5 years would be more normal I would think. But if you are really playing at least one round every day and charging each time then 450-500 charge cycles could wear out the batteries and that's about a year and a half.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Also, when its really hot, the batteries are performing better than 100% rated capacity as far as range so when the temp drops the decrease in range is even more pronounced. The high temps do stress the batteries according to the manufacturers. However, only one year seems shorter than average even in the hot conditions. Battery life of 2-3 years instead of an average 4-5 years would be more normal I would think. But if you are really playing at least one round every day and charging each time then 450-500 charge cycles could wear out the batteries and that's about a year and a half.
Probably more like 3-4 full rounds a week on average I'd say in the summer and maybe 1-2 during winter months so not quite that much...I wish I could play every single day haha! But I do play a decent amount of quick 9s near the end of the day too and we also use the cart to drive around the neighborhood and to the pool so I'm probably a heavier user than most people.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO