lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
masonhunter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48v-12V converter troubles

I have an 03 re-conditioned Club Car DS with run/tow switch. I recently installed a 48v-12v converter made by fore-par model# 3-498E. I installed exactly as wiring diagram showed. Everything was working great, while still in tow mode. I tested the 12V out wire going into my fuse block and was getting 12.4v, so I intalled my fuses into the block and hooked everything up. Radio came on along with cigarette lighter. Everything good so far.

I then turned off the auxillary switch intalled on the yellow wire going to the 48V positive from the converter. Switched my run/tow switch to run and pop...the radio started smoking (switch was off). Quickly turning back in tow mode, I started inspecting the damage. No fuses were blown (20A to the 48V power or in the fuse block) I was no longer getting 12v power to my fuse block and after testing radio off a separate 12v battery, nothing, it was fried.

Further testing, I am getting 50+ volts to the converter but nothing out on the 12V side. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I have tried to attach a wiring diagram that came with the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg converter076.jpg (25.4 KB, 49 views)
masonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: 48v-12V converter troubles

If you installed it by the schematic shown and that's what they called for then either their converter is/was toast or one of the accessories you hooked up to it is also connected to a separate power source other than your new converter. I also am not crazy about why they have a separate fuse and switch for the 48v input power when one can do both.

You need to back track on each accessory that you fused separately to see if in fact one of them is double powered and do a detail inspection of where you grounded each of these new accessories as well. Your radio took a 48v hit somehow... and if the converter was off... where did that voltage come from...
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok just to make sure,Did you have a converter or maybe a voltage reducer?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Ok just to make sure,Did you have a converter or maybe a voltage reducer?
He's got the Mac-Daddy converter, 30amp model that I was even looking at... and the keyword here is WAS...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p_l_3-498e.jpg (32.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
He's got the Mac-Daddy converter, 30amp model that I was even looking at... and the keyword here is WAS...
I have one just like it on mine that I got from Stentons,Must have made a booboo somewhere.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
I have one just like it on mine that I got from Stentons,Must have made a booboo somewhere.
Can I ask you... when you put a load on it with a few accessories running... have you ever checked to see what the voltage drop was... let's say no load at 13.5 and full load at 12.0... or does it hold even no matter what? Mine currently goes below 12v and that is a no-no for me... especially when I hook up my Inverter for AC items and it wants to keep warning me about low voltage.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have never checked it but my light dont dim when my 4ways are on or anything else.I do have a 50 amp cut off switch on it though to cut all the power when Its just idle.Getting ready to put a taillight cut off switch on soon so the cops cant see me when I am hauling shine at night.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
I have never checked it but my light dont dim when my 4ways are on or anything else.I do have a 50 amp cut off switch on it though to cut all the power when Its just idle.Getting ready to put a taillight cut off switch on soon so the cops cant see me when I am hauling shine at night.
My headlights don't dim either but I did measure that voltage drop... Moonshine huh,,, good stuff I bet!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
masonhunter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I didn't make it that far to check for voltage drops. Sorry. I was getting 12.4V with nothing running. Like I said it was fine in Tow mode. This happened when I switched it over to run? The diagram shows the accessory ground running back to the battery negative. Is there someway 48V spiked back through the ground. I'm sure there was nothing double powered, but I'm starting to double think the grounds back to the last battery.

I'm pretty sure the converter is fried also, because I can't get anything on the output side.
masonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonhunter View Post
I didn't make it that far to check for voltage drops. Sorry. I was getting 12.4V with nothing running. Like I said it was fine in Tow mode. This happened when I switched it over to run? The diagram shows the accessory ground running back to the battery negative. Is there someway 48V spiked back through the ground. I'm sure there was nothing double powered, but I'm starting to double think the grounds back to the last battery.

I'm pretty sure the converter is fried also, because I can't get anything on the output side.
If you feel comfortable that your wiring was correct then the only cause left would be a bad converter... and now a bad radio as well. Will the cart run as normal now?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car