lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
JAY MAN WAY
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 48v club OBC

Bought 48 volt cart one year ago, come to find they had the relay jumped out in the charger, and batteries were charged for 36 hours +/- seems like batteries wont hold a charge anymore could they be toast and or why would they jump out the relay in the charger. Maybe bad obc
JAY MAN WAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 48v club OBC

GO BACK TO BASIC's and Get a hydrometer with temperature correction ( NOT MULTI BALL ANTIFREEZE TYPE ) and test each cell in each battery. For charge rate to fully charged look at scale in stickies above.
Sounds like you may have more than one problem but you should start with basics Batterys then, wiring then, solenoid- controller- OBC- etc.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
JAY MAN WAY
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, i did check the voltage at the batteries and found that two of them only had around 6 volts and the other four were around 8 volts
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY MAN WAY View Post
Thanks, i did check the voltage at the batteries and found that two of them only had around 6 volts and the other four were around 8 volts
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
JAY MAN WAY
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys i just checked the cells with a hydrometer and found that battery 1 3 4 6 seem to be ranging from 1225 to 1290 and battery 2 5 are in the 1125 to 1300 range it just doesnt make good sense please let me know what you think. These readings were taken two hour after charging for five hours
Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

QUESTION Had your charger turned off ( AUTOMATICALLY ) before these readings were taken? Club Car chargers will fully charge batterys clear up to 1275 normally but if you unplug before its done you wont have a full charge. Sometimes it takes several chargings to bring batterys up to full gravity ( especially if lots of water was added ) so unless you have just added water ( after ) charging the readings you got show that #2 and 5 are bad. You did check specific gravity at correct time after charging so sorry to say it sounds like time for new batterys.
I dont know why it happens but Club Car carts #5 and #6 batterys ( two under drivers seat ) seem to go bad first?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
JAY MAN WAY
Not Yet Wild

Tnanks old mec, the battery solenoid was jumped out when i bought the cart, but either way the charger will not shut off automatically. Now i need to find out if the obc is bad. I did try the reset that was posted, but it did nothing. Battery pack voltage dropped from 52 volt to 47 in just 24 hours of setting there. Maybe i should have gone gas!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I imagine that your charger wont go down below 3-5 amps rate of charge. This is normal when you have bad batterys as its trying to bring ALL CELLS up and bad ones wont come up. Some voltage drop is normal after 24 hours, but bad batterys will draw down your whole pack voltage as its beleeding into bad batterys.
Once you get problems solved an electric cart is the way I would go, rather than trying to keep gas engines running? Thats my oppinion as a auto mechanic for over 60 years of experience??
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
JAY MAN WAY
Not Yet Wild

Old mec, thanks again for your help i bought six new batteries from sams club but know im scared to install them knowing that the charger will not shut off. And you are right the charger never did drop below 5 amps
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

With new batterys your charger SHOULD shut off automatically in a normal manner? The reason for not shutting off before was because you had bad batterys that the charger was trying to fully charge making for 3-5 amp non shutoff. DO NOT TURN OFF UNLESS the CHARGER HAS BEEN ON FOR MORE THAN 14-16 HOURS. Remember that you should give new batterys a FULL CHARGE BEFORE USING FOR THE FIRST TIME, and never let them get below 60%-70% charge without recharging. I charge AFTER EACH CART USEAGE to maintain new batterys in charged condition. Remember also that it can take up to 12-15 or more charges to get them BROKE IN giving you full power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car