lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: keg needs help

Well its charging and thats good,just make sure you monitor the chaging because it wont shut off the charger with the OBC bypassed.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
keg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Golf car fixer - I understand you would not recommend, Is this due to the bats over charging or something else. It reallys seams that the obc is whats wrong.
before I would pluge the charger in and it would come on trun righrt back off then on again then off with in 5 min. this is the longest the charger has been on.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg View Post
Golf car fixer - I understand you would not recommend, Is this due to the bats over charging or something else. It reallys seams that the obc is whats wrong.
before I would pluge the charger in and it would come on trun righrt back off then on again then off with in 5 min. this is the longest the charger has been on.
The OBC will act as a monitor of the charging of your batteries. It will sense when to turn on, for how long to stabilize your batteries and when to turn off. In bypass mode the charger will only do one thing... charge your batteries... and if left on too long, will fry them. You can monitor your batteries with a voltmeter while charging and see when they reach around 62-64 volts which would be near or on stabilization and then shut it off to get them back to full charge but as you've been saying it seems that your OBC is shot, time to get a new one.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Correct me if I'm wrong but in bypass mode you do not get the proper algorithm of charge phases within the charging cycle. Normally the charger will only put out full power for 20-40 minutes and then enter phase 2 at less amps and then phase 3 to correctly charge the batteries. With a bypass all you have is a transformer pumping out DC at it's max (or near that)... If I am right, then what this does to a battery pack is wrong
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but in bypass mode you do not get the proper algorithm of charge phases within the charging cycle. Normally the charger will only put out full power for 20-40 minutes and then enter phase 2 at less amps and then phase 3 to correctly charge the batteries. With a bypass all you have is a transformer pumping out DC at it's max (or near that)... If I am right, then what this does to a battery pack is wrong
"Golf car fixer - I understand you would not recommend, Is this due to the bats over charging or something else. It reallys seams that the obc is whats wrong.
before I would pluge the charger in and it would come on trun righrt back off then on again then off with in 5 min. this is the longest the charger has been on."

Yep... full power for the whole time until the batteries are fried... that's why he needs to monitor it closely since he already has it charging in bypass mode before our posts!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Something just hit me out of the blue... You say you installed new cables right? Did you run the main negative cable through the OBC like the other one came out, or did you re-route around the OBC? It MUST go through it, or the charger will do exactly what you describe.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
keg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK guys I got the message.
I only did the bypass for an hour or so to see if the bats would start to come up and they did.
I have since the last post made a change, I read that by not running the gound thru the obc the charger would not work right.
Whith this info I backed up a little and here is where I am.
When I replaced all the bats and wires I did not remove the old neg wire that goes thru the obc. I installed a new one going around it. Turns out the obc has a way of knowing this and will not let the charger act right. I as I read in a thread re conected the old neg.wire and the charger came on turned off then came on again and has stayed on for the past few hours. I am not sure if I want to leave it on over night or not. the charger is showing 10 DC ampters this is half way. what do you think??
Again I want to thank all of you for you help.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Something just hit me out of the blue... You say you installed new cables right? Did you run the main negative cable through the OBC like the other one came out, or did you re-route around the OBC? It MUST go through it, or the charger will do exactly what you describe.
Nice catch David

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg View Post
OK guys I got the message.
I only did the bypass for an hour or so to see if the bats would start to come up and they did.
I have since the last post made a change, I read that by not running the gound thru the obc the charger would not work right.
Whith this info I backed up a little and here is where I am.
When I replaced all the bats and wires I did not remove the old neg wire that goes thru the obc. I installed a new one going around it. Turns out the obc has a way of knowing this and will not let the charger act right. I as I read in a thread re conected the old neg.wire and the charger came on turned off then came on again and has stayed on for the past few hours. I am not sure if I want to leave it on over night or not. the charger is showing 10 DC ampters this is half way. what do you think??
Again I want to thank all of you for you help.
You can have the best of both worlds... just make sure that BOTH the old and the new cable are connected, the old through the OBC and the new around the OBC. It will work fine that way
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car