lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Top end stuttering.......driving me nuts! ( Short trip tho! )

Alright techies and gurus! 84 Marathon with a 244 Robin that I have recently upped the governor on my cart, and at high rpms I get a stuttering/ bogging that is drivin me nuts! I have adjusted the mixture screw to really no avail at all. It makes a difference on the bottom end, but none at all at higher rpms. Before I just start drilling out the jet, any other recommendations?

FYI - The cart pulls great, pulls hills fine as I think someone may have already put a shorter belt on ;) - no neutral at all! lol as soon as you try to push the cart manually the belt grabs either way. This issue is only at high speed/high rpm's going down the road. If I pull one set of wheels over in the grass, it seems to smooth out! I know....wierd, but it seems it has to be under a load. Having all 4 tires on the pavement is when it is worse. If I slow down at all and gas it, it has all the power I could ask for! Well.....if I could get it to spin the wheels that would be cool, but o.k......one problem at a time!

Sorry for the long story, and thanks in advance for any help!
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Re: Top end stuttering.......driving me nuts! ( Short trip tho! )

AND! - BTW - yes......I did search first!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

you've got the governor turned up to high, sounds like, to me. almost sounds like the engine is hitting the rev limiter?

this things are made to run 80K rpms
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
vzdude
Gone Wild

salty.....is the rev limiter built in to the module? That very well could be the case! It just seems that under a load it runs much better. Getting up to top speed is great but when it settles in for a steady run , even at lower speeds, is when it stutters. I GPS'd it tonight. Runs very smooth at 17 mph, but anything above that it starts to sputter. Seems like it needs more fuel ......
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

those old carts have a habit of pushing oil into the vacuum tube that feeds the fuel pump (vacuum pulse) take the hose off of the bottom of the fuel pump and blow into it, might find some oil in it. it does sound like the rev limiter
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
vzdude
Gone Wild

I will definitely try that later! I felt like it has been a fuel issue all along. Was an automotive tech for 16 years, but have been out of it for quite a while now. Was thinking about rebuilding the pump just in case. As far as the rev limiter.....is that built into the ignition box? Is there any bypass to make sure that is what it is?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO