lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

View Poll Results: Reduce Voltage or not?
Definitely reduce voltage ! 11 91.67%
Don't waste the money .....16 v isn't that much higher ! 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Voltage reducer or not?

I am sure this has been asked before, I did search, but didn't find a really good answer. Can I just use one of the battery pairs at 16 volts for accessories, or is a voltage reducer REALLY necessary ?

Opinions?
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer or not?

IF you have just head lights and you use them once in a blue moon go ahead and connect them to a pair in the pack......
If you use your 12v power regularly don't risk it....That could be the reason your battery pack didn't last as long as it should have.....
When 2 of the batteries are routinely taxed more than the other 4 it will cause an imbalance which will show up during recharging. Resulting in over charging the good 4 while waiting for the over taxed 2 to come up to set voltage. Does that make sense...... So if you want to cruise with the lights and the tunes get a reducer
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Listen to SCOTTYB
I will add that if you use 12 volt items that include "Any Electronic's" such as stereo, amps, etc go with either a total battery pack voltage reducer $125.00-$150.00, 20-25 amp output ( 16 volts will blow expensive electronic's ) with a switch to turn "off" when not in use ( NOTE neighbor lost new cart by having defective shorted reducer turned on all the time ) or I use a cheaper method of adding a handicapped 12 volt sealed scooter battery ( UB 12350 40 amp hour rated, last price was $59.00?? ) and charge it with auto charger ( Harbor Freight 2-10 amp ) as needed. I have lights, horn, turn signals, brake lights, driving lights, stereo and over head fan and only need to charge battery twice a month. NOTE I did conserve load by converting all light bulbs to "LED" that cuts load by over 2/3-3/4 ( cost higher to replace but life also tripples life as well ).
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
vzdude
Gone Wild

Thanks guys! Pretty much what I figured, but still had to ask! LOL This is for my father in laws cart and he is gonna want it all! Stereo, lights, ect.....
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Don't cheap out on the reducer...... get a 25 amp model..... get a good one with a large heat dissipation base plate and bolt it directly to the frame getting as much contact as possible for that base plate.

Hey, SoTex Mech, Have you thought of a small solar recharger on the roof down there in the sun country..... charge once every 2 weeks = about a 2 amp maintainer...... no?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes SCOTTYB it would work great BUT "Solar Charger" way too many DENARO for this old man on a near starvation OBAMA income? Have old cheap Harbor Freight charger 2-10 amp that works great for now ( cost $10.50 new some 12 years ago )? I hook up through HD ( fused 20 amp rated ) marine dash mounted power outlet ( Navy Surplus $1.50 ) while charging battery pack making connection easy. All lighting, horn and driving lights and turn signals picked up at Navy Surplus or from swap meet rejects? Have to save where possible? Biggest expense on cart was LED bulbs, stereo donated by neighbor, but LED's well worth the cost?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I will keep my eyes peeled. Maybe somebody moving up north?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've started using the 30 AMP models now... I like them better.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I've started using the 30 AMP models now... I like them better.
Which brand is that?

vzdude
Go with the reducer, you will be glad you did
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you can get away without a reducer for lights.....they,ll work on 16 volts 99.9% of the time heck they,ll work on 8 volts just dim........but anything else like radio you need to have it right..........and for a radio and other stuff i would go with at least a 25 amp one....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car