lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Teriblthundrlzrd
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 48V. new solenoid, but will barely move.

Okay, so I bought a 99 48V Club Car about 6 months ago. As far as I can tell it is all stock, and has the F/N/R switch beneath the seat. When it stopped running around 1 month ago I did some research and found that I needed a new solenoid. SO after I replaced the solenoid the cart still wouldnt run. I jacked up the back end and can get the wheel to turn slowley, but jerkily. I checked the batteries which are holding at around 61V w/ charger, and 48-52V w/o charger. Seeing as how I've been wprking on this thing daily for a month any thoughts, ideas, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Teriblthundrlzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
jlmurphy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 99 48V. new solenoid, but will barely move.

Check voltage on each battery w/o the charger on this sounds like at least one bad battery
jlmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you need to load test each battery as even a battery holding voltage can drop like a brick with a load on it.................good chance you,ll find your problem there...........all cables are good clean and tight ? right................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Teriblthundrlzrd
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: 99 48V. new solenoid, but will barely move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
you need to load test each battery as even a battery holding voltage can drop like a brick with a load on it.................good chance you,ll find your problem there...........all cables are good clean and tight ? right................................
Yeah, that was the first thing I did was clean the battery terminals, and make sure they were tight. But as far as load testing goes, I'm not sure how to do it. Do I just hook up the Olm meter while the key is on and press the gas? Also I checked all the batteries indiviually and got 8V from all of them except 1 and that 1 was bouncing between 7-8... I read on here that 48V is considered dead, so does that mean batteries with 8V are also dead? Thank you both for the response, and suggestions.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

at 8 volts its 50% discharged.....tape your volt meter probes to proper terminals and yes try and drive cart to see what meter drops to......best to do 1 at a time ..............more than likely your gonna find 1 or 2 really dropping and when you do those are the ones that need replaced.......................write #,s down before and than again what they drop to and post them.......................................
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Teriblthundrlzrd
Not Yet Wild

Alright so I hooked the main + and - up to every battery individually (I assume thats how to do it) and they all came in at 8V while under load except the #2 battery which came in at 6-7V. So I'm guessing that I need to replace the #2 Battery, and that I made a mistake when testing the solenoid, and then replacing it.lol. However, I was wondering if (1) is 8V for the rest of them okay? (2) I heard that when you replace one battery you might as well replace them all because they're all likely to go bad shortly afterward, and (3) I found a product that claimed to restore batteries that are still pulling around 6.5V or higher by running a braoder "wave" of electricity through the battery and therefor cleaning the crystals off the plate and helping to restore that electrolite solution to it's original sulfuric acid state. Know anything about that? Or do you think it's a better idea to start a new thread talking about it? Also THANK YOU for your help, and saint-like patience.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i would spend the money trying to find a battery as close to what you have as you can.....sorry i don,t beleive in the stuff they claim will bring it back to life and if it does you can bet its just temporary...........................
Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Teriblthundrlzrd
Not Yet Wild

So at 8Vs the other batteries should be okay, and I dont have to replace them all?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriblthundrlzrd View Post
So at 8Vs the other batteries should be okay, and I dont have to replace them all?
yes if they are holding at 8 volts under load i would worry about the one thats dropping to 5 or 6 volts...................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car