lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Just picked up my project Yamaha gas limo 4-seater

So I talked the a local dealership in to selling me a couple salvage parts for a great deal. One is a G14 or G16 gas limo, and the other is a G2. Got them both for $400 total :) I picked the limo up today, but will have to go back next week for the G2 since we spent all out time getting the limo together enough to take it home.

The G14 was missing the entire rear axle, so I swapped one in from another G14/G16 that they had sitting nearby. Had to change out 3 wheels/tires (the others were off the bead), and snag a bunch of other stuff that was missing. It needed the upper and lower rear seat assembly, and the driver's side seat-back, and a bunch of other minor stuff that it needed that they let me grab at no additional cost, including 3 used 22" tires. The tires are a little rotted but I can at least use them for a short period of time while I make sure everything else is right whenever I get around to lifting this thing.

I still need to round up a carburetor and driven clutch for it next week when I go back, but here are some pics of what I have to work with for the limo:

AGrayson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Just picked up my project Yamaha gas limo 4-seater

Besides the driven clutch, carburetor, muffler, and battery, would you guys mind letting me know if you notice anything else that may be missing that will prevent me from getting this thing running? I'll have to try to determine what's wrong with the motor, but I want to make sure everything else that it needs is there.

Also, what is it that mounts near the fuel fill cap on the gas tank? There's another hole there from something obviously but I'm not sure what, couldn't find one on another cart to determine that. Thanks everyone!

-Andrew
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
cjnfiremn
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrayson84 View Post

Also, what is it that mounts near the fuel fill cap on the gas tank? There's another hole there from something obviously but I'm not sure what, couldn't find one on another cart to determine that. Thanks everyone!

-Andrew
Nice looking project, asfor as gas tank hole I would say that hole is for a fuel level sending unit.

Can you turn the engine over by hand? I woud pour alittle Marvel mystery oil in the cylinder and let it sit a day or two before I would turn the engine over, this will lube the top of the cylinders and rings. Keep us updated.
cjnfiremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Air box and the open hole is for the fuel pick up tube. I would check the wear on the input shaft before installing the clutch. It might be worn and loud. Gret price and find!
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
OregonMike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Location: Anywhere Near Roseburg, Oregon, where I can find some twisties!

Just thinking out loud here, but my cart has the fuel line going into the tank fromt he top, and on yours I see the filter and pump are right there, and line from the filter to the pump appears to be the "in" line??? But I could be WAY off. Mine has a pick up tube that goes to the bottom of the tank.

I can snap a pic if you want me to! Mine's a G8, but might have a gas tank off something else.

And man, You GOTTA make a cover for that hole in the back, and mount a Subwoofer... it's screaming to have that done!!!

Mike
OregonMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
Air box and the open hole is for the fuel pick up tube. I would check the wear on the input shaft before installing the clutch. It might be worn and loud. Gret price and find!
Thanks Craig. I think I may have actually snagged the air-box, or at least most of it. It's still sitting in my truck. But I plan I probably just putting a UNI filter directly over the carb, and might just do a straight-pipe for the exhaust unless that's not recommended. Of course I'll have to re-jet the carb if I do both of those things.

So the fuel pump connects to the fuel pickup tube in the gas tank right? Also, can you tell me a little more about wear on the input shaft? If the shaft is worn is there any repair for that, or will it need to be replaced? Someone apparently beat on the end of this input shaft and smashed it up some, so I'll have to cut a sliver off the tip of it if I end up using this shaft. How do I know if the shaft is too worn, just clean off the rust and measure it with a set of digital calipers? Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnfiremn View Post
Nice looking project, asfor as gas tank hole I would say that hole is for a fuel level sending unit.

Can you turn the engine over by hand? I woud pour alittle Marvel mystery oil in the cylinder and let it sit a day or two before I would turn the engine over, this will lube the top of the cylinders and rings. Keep us updated.
Thank you, yeah it should make for some fun hopefully! I was thinking fuel level sending unit possibly myself, but without having a fuel gauge on this thing what would that even be used for?

I was able to turn the engine by hand some, but think I hit the compression stroke because I couldn't continue spinning it. I'll pull the spark plug later and give it a try. So pour a little marvel mystery in the spark plug hole, and should I pour any in the crank-case too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMike View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but my cart has the fuel line going into the tank fromt he top, and on yours I see the filter and pump are right there, and line from the filter to the pump appears to be the "in" line??? But I could be WAY off. Mine has a pick up tube that goes to the bottom of the tank.

I can snap a pic if you want me to! Mine's a G8, but might have a gas tank off something else.

And man, You GOTTA make a cover for that hole in the back, and mount a Subwoofer... it's screaming to have that done!!!

Mike
Thank you Mike! Yes, if you would please snap a pic, I'd really appreciate it. It might help figure out what's what here. Yeah I meant to pick up a cover for the back but I forgot. Not sure if I'll ever do a subwoofer (not sure what it would take for the charging system to handle a stereo, speakers, and sub) but I do plan on at least putting a 2 or 4 marine grade speakers in it at some point. If I were to ever do a subwoofer I'd rather put it somewhere that won't be as exposed to the elements and all. Maybe a 10" or 12" in a box underneath the front seat one day :)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The g-8 and g-16 have 2 different types of fuel tanks and the look a lot different under the seat.

Maybe smallblock will chime in and give you the tolerance numbers for the shaft. If it is real bad you can fill a lip on the shaft. It is a replaceable part but is expensive.

The fuel pump line does mount to the pick up tube.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thank you again for the info Craig! Would you happen to know what other driven clutches will fit this input shaft? I couldn't find any other G14/G16's with the clutch still on them that I could take off.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would buy new from Plowmans or carts parts plus. Get the clutches spring and clip eliminator. Any clutch from 4 stroke Yamaha except ydr.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha