lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 72 volt questions

1) Is the EZGO ITS throttle reliable? I need to order a controller (Alltrax 72400) for my 72 volt conversion and need to know the throttle input prior to ordering.

2) Is 4 gauge recommended for 72 volts or do I need 2 gauge?

3) Solenoids (main and F/R) - do they need to be 72v coils or can I use 36v coils for safety (i.e. key switch)?

4) Motor - EV people take forklift motors, install them into cars and over-volt the crap out of them (120v). Can I over-volt a stock ezgo 36v motor to 72v and have it be reliable?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 72 volt questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
1) Is the EZGO ITS throttle reliable? I need to order a controller (Alltrax 72400) for my 72 volt conversion and need to know the throttle input prior to ordering.

ITS is as good as any GC throttle input. But I think you might prefer a Potentiometer (0-5k)

2) Is 4 gauge recommended for 72 volts or do I need 2 gauge?
Wire gauge is based upon amperage draw. THe 72v system should use less amperage than a 36 or 48v system.... but there are lots of variables to determine your usage. You can be safe by going bigger. So 2g is my answer.

3) Solenoids (main and F/R) - do they need to be 72v coils or can I use 36v coils for safety (i.e. key switch)?
Depends upon how you want to wire your system. The voltage you refer to has to do with the activation circuit not the operating amperage capacity

4) Motor - EV people take forklift motors, install them into cars and over-volt the crap out of them (120v). Can I over-volt a stock ezgo 36v motor to 72v and have it be reliable?

No, not with any reliability. Yes, for a fun experiment. Be warned that catastrophic motor failure due to high RPMS may result in the motor flying apart and presenting a danger to occupants or by standers.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Why would I prefer a pot vs. the ITS throttle if the ITS is just as good as any GC throttle input?

Point taken on the stock motor. I believe I've read another member has been running 84v on a stock motor for years so I'm going to go forward with my 72v upgrade. I ordered my Alltrax yesterday, getting excited now...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What I meant was ITS is as good as any of the standard throttle input devices when used in a standard or moderately modified golf cart. The Potentiometer is the preferred throttle device for high output electric cars, bikes, etc. I hope you went with the SPM control. It has reverse polarity protection on the output side which will save it when (I mean if) the motor shorts out.

Let us know how this works out with the stock motor in the long run
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm going to leave the ITS throttle so keep it more simple.

I did order an Alltrax SPM-72400 controller. It will arrive next week. Still gathering batteries for the project...

Now I can't decide which charger to get. I'm leaning towards the Quick Charge on-board.

Portable (DPI Power)
https://dpipower.com/store/products/...harger-53.html

On-Board (Quick Charge)
http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/cgr-sco7220.htm
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
1fastbuggy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Call Scotty and get the DPI it is a really good charger.
1fastbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I ordered the Quick Charge on-board charger already after reading some great reviews here. I liked the idea of on-board charging also to allow easy opportunity charging when available. A portable charger just sits at home usually.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I ordered the Quick Charge on-board charger already after reading some great reviews here. I liked the idea of on-board charging also to allow easy opportunity charging when available. A portable charger just sits at home usually.
Manufactures of on-board chargers had something very different than what we do to carts in mind, LOL. The hardship of off road use is too much abuse for some chargers. Although convenient, not all micro processor type on-board chargers last like the transformer type stand alone types.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Don't think you'll be disappointed with the QC charger!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO