lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Should I rebuild or buy new

My $650 01 EZ Go TXT is turning into thousands of dollars.

When I bought it, it was a rusty, dirty, worn out little thing...I assured the wife it would cost less than $1500 to have it looking brand new. (didn't promise, just assured...there is a big difference)

Of course, I had to replace the old white body with a new, metallic black one...that was a no brainer.

Then, for my 3 year old daughter's sake, I added headlights and tail lights...oh and newly upholstered seats...safety first, right?!

No big deal up to this point...

Now I think the batteries will have to be replaced. And maybe the motor. And did I mention that I have a 6 inch lift, rims and 22 inch tires on the way?!

Bought a 6v charger and removed the batteries. I should have known they were no good by the way the sides were bulging out...but I just started learning about carts, batteries etc. after the fact.

Spent a week reconditioning the batteries. They all seem to be good except one that has a dead cell and will only give me 4v.

Hooked them all up, cleaned all of the electrical components etc and...nothing. I hear the soleniod clicking when I step on the throttle, but nothing from the motor. Can anyone tell me where to start tracing the problem(s)?

I'm quickly approaching the budget I assured my better half I could complete the project in.

If I can't get this thing working without having to buy everything new, I may have to give it to her for Christmas!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (221.9 KB, 0 views)
Steve.B.Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Should I rebuild or buy new

I don't suppose you could convince your batter half the the leading number on you esitmated budget was a typo and it should have been a "3" instead of a "1".

That one bad battery could be dragging the whole pack down under load.
Try jacking the rear wheels off the ground (put on jack stands) and see if the motor will spin the wheels.

You also might try just leaving the bad battery out of the pack. If the solenoid will still click on 30V, it might creep around the yard slowly and put a glimmer of hope in the wife's eyes as well a sparkle in the little one's eyes.

If it does, you might find a used battery that will get you by until you can replace the whole pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Bulging sides on batteries doesn't necessarily indicate that they're shot, not by any means. At least if my experience count for anything.

I bought my old Legend cart in 2000, expecting to replace the batteries right off the bat. Especially since they had bulging sides and one had a slightly melted terminal from a wire coming loose. We removed the batteries, repaired the trays as necessary, actually totally replacing one, and cleaned & checked the batteries. They seemed to be OK, so I reinstalled them.

It was July 2005 when they finally went bad. I didn't check to see if it was only one, or what, I just replaced the entire pack with Stowaways, from Sam's Club. I'm still using that set, and they seem OK, at least under light usage. Every one of them has the sides bulging.

JohnnieB has good advice. Check the voltage of the pack under load to see what's going on.

You spent a week "reconditioning" the batteries? What does that mean, exactly? My idea of reconditioning batteries consists of checking the water level, then charging slowly. If they work at all, and if they've been sitting, I'll try to "cycle" them a bit by discharging them to a degree, then recharging. Repeat a few times and see what gives. Note that "to a degree" means maybe 20% discharge, not really running them down. Monitor voltages while you're doing that, and refer to the State Of Charge chart that's posted on this site.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK...jacked her up and put her on stands. Still just the clicking when I press the accelerator. Just using a volt meter, I get 34 v. I am going to completely disassemble everything with an electrical connection (except the motor), clean it all up and put it back together...will be back.

While I was there, I removed the body and the shocks...man this is getting expensive!

Reconditioning consisted of a $12.00 kit from e-bay and a $50 6v charger. Added chemicals (mostly epsum salt) and distilled water. All batteries are reading 6v, except for one that has a dead cell and reads 4v. (thus the 34v when they are all connected).
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If your batteries are only reading 6.00v then they are only 50% charged and under load could be dropping well below 5v.

How old are the batteries (date code on the lead terminal)?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

You need new $$Batteries$$

Start hiding money from wife... NOW!!!

This is where it gets tricky.. If you're gong to go with a full rebuild you will want 48v at some point, which means buying new batteries or adding two sixes.

Decide now if you want clean 6 batts under seat or do you want to put two in Bagwell in future? If your going to do this really think about what you want/need and YOU.. If you're the type to fiddle, as most of us here are, go 48v now and rebuild the cart.

It's fun and in the end it will truly be YOURS

Edit - FWIW $650 is a smokin deal for that cart, looks clean and well maintained. Be close to $1500 down here the way it looks in that pic. Ya got that goin for ya! Which is nice....
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Should I rebuild 36v motor or buy new

No go. After researching the site I performed a low voltage motor test. Nada.
I would like to test it again using a different battery before I pull the motor. Does anyone know if a 12v deep cycle battery will turn the motor at all?

If the motor is the problem, is it rebuild-able, or should I get a new one...and if I get a new one should I go with 36v or 48v? 8.5 hp or 12 hp?

I will have 22 inch tires with a 6 inch lift and I want it to be able to get over whatever it needs to get over...oh yea, and it has to be able to outrun the wife.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable input so far.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sportcoup

Batteries are Trojan 105's. Only markings I can see on the lead terminal are stamps...positive says K30 negative says A6.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

How do you read the date codes on the batteries?
Positive Terminal- Manufacturing Date. This code indicates the actual date when mechanical assembly of the battery was completed. At this point, electrolyte has not been added to the battery and formation charging has not taken place. LETTER stands for the month and could be anything from A to L (A=January, B=February, C=March, and so on),; NUMBER stands for the date.
Negative Terminal- Shipping Date. This code indicates the month and year when the battery was shipped out of our factory. LETTER stands for the month (see below); NUMBER is the last digit of the year.

Jan 2006, your batteries are turning 7 or late 80s in people years
Taykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default rebuild or buy new

Thanks to everyone for the help. Looks like I'm about to buy new batteries.

This brings up another set of questions.

The motor is 36V. From reading different posts, it seems I can jump to 48v and still use the same motor...yes or no? What else will I have to swap?

I saw photos where someone (I think JonnieB) installed 2 additional 6v batteries under the seat and mover the controller. Can someone give me a list of what I will need to replace? Will my old 36v charger still work if I disconnect the two side batteries and charge them separate?

Tags
36v, ez-go, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO