lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
mikemc53
Not Yet Wild

Default Stalling and sputtering

2012 Yamaha EFI has been acting up. Here's some back-story:

Bought the cart a year ago in really good shape and ran quite well. Near the end of spring/early summer it started acting up a bit - not all the time. Usually after cold start it would hesitate or stall and I would need to play with the accelerator a bit and it would catch and go. Sometimes you could feel it while you were driving and it wouldn't accelerate but playing with the pedal usually got it going. Also, if I put Sea Foam in the tank it seemed to do better but still not perfect. I also changed the plug with no real results.

I left for a few months (the cart is in Florida) and just came back. It seemed more pronounced, though it did sit idle for 4 months. More Sea Foam and it seemed to help but still, any time I stop it wants to give me trouble reaccelerating - I always have to play with the pedal.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Stalling and sputtering

Fuel filter? Bad gas?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With this new ethanol treated fuel and how long fuel sits at the stations, I'd be willing to bet it's fuel related. Sometimes that fuel gums up and plugs up the idle jet circuit, which is very tiny. Also, the ethanol in the fuel makes corrosion in the aluminum carbs. I see white dust all the time when I take apart older carbs, thats the corrosion. That same corrosion dust can plug up the pilot jet too.

Most older carbs will react with the ethanol fuel. Most newer carbs will be better, something about being "made" for ethanol fuel.

Seafoam is ok. There is better stuff though. I treat all my fuel with Stabil Ethanol Treatment. It treats the fuel so it lasts longer and it neutralizes the alcohol in the fuel.

First thing I would do is drain all the fuel from the tank. Replace with fresh fuel from a really busy station. Treat it with the Stabil. See how it does. If it's still acting up, you might have to take the carb off and clean out the jets.

If you can buy ethanol free fuel that would be ideal. Near me there are 2 stations within 10 miles.

Here's some good ethanol info

http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-...uel-treatment/
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Don't those EFI units have some kind of error code diagnosis ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Don't those EFI units have some kind of error code diagnosis ?
They do
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ah EFI, missed that.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
mikemc53
Not Yet Wild

Two things gang:

Where/how do you read the error codes on this?

Where is the fuel filter? On a carbureted model it is pretty easy to find but on the EFI, I don't know where it is. Is it in the tank?
Old 11-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Fuel filter is in the tank on the bottom of the pump assy...There is a built in code system using the check engine light...To check for code...

1. Turn main switch to ON position.

TIP:The accelerator pedal must be pushed down and engine rotated, to read error codes, even if the engine will not start

2. Push the accelerator pedal down the start the engine.

3.The red check engine light will come on for approx. 2 seconds and then go out.

4.When check engine light goes off release accelerator pedal to stop engine.

5. With the main switch still ON position, check the engine light. If it is not flashing, there are no codes being thrown.

6. If the light is flashing, there are error codes and the light will flash at least one long flash, followed by at least one short flash.

7.After the code, light will pause for 3 seconds and then start over. If multiple codes are being thrown, it will display them one right the other until process repeats.

That being said there is a FI Tool available to us dealers that goes waaaaaay more in depth but I'm not sure it is available to the general public...hope that helps..
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
mikemc53
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

I pulled the fuel pump and looked at the filter - can't find a replacement on line but I'll keep looking.

Also, it is not throwing any codes so it really might just be a fuel issue. I did not fully drain the tank but have been using additives. It runs a bit better but still has intermittent, what I would call, blank spots. It either seems to have a dead pedal when I accelerate after a stop, or it will do the same while driving. I will be at speed and feel it slow and then it won't take any pedal - just no response. Usually, it will start up after it coasts to a stop. Always seem to have to play with the pedal.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
mikemc53
Not Yet Wild

Really confused. It still does the intermittent thing, especially on initial start but often does it anytime I let the engine coast/stop, where it will not take pedal when I try to accelerate. There is a noticeable difference when it is cold or damp outside, with this condition being much more pronounced.

This is a 2012 EFI model and someone on another forum told me it also has a carburetor. I have never known of a fuel injected engine to have a carb but...this one does...butterfly and all.

Kinda lost on this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha