lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
126dgordon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: top speed Yamaha Drive

You will need to contact cart parts plus to see where they ship.

Web site: http://www.cartpartsplus.com/
126dgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
126dgordon
Not Yet Wild

I would never drill out the spring governor bracket. The chance of blowing-up your engine will increase two fold. Speed spring and 8 to 1 gears is the only safe way to go to remain close to factory installation. If you put the 8/1 gear in you will see how the governor works. By the way, I have a handyman background but found it to be relative easy to install the gear and spring.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 126dgordon View Post
I would never drill out the spring governor bracket. The chance of blowing-up your engine will increase two fold. Speed spring and 8 to 1 gears is the only safe way...
And this is based on what exactly? There are a whole lot of cart owners running no governor or modded governor and I don't see a lot of reported issues with blown engines.
lj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
126dgordon
Not Yet Wild

I plan to use my modified stock cart on the golf course and street, There are reasons that governors are installed on golf carts that are used on golf courses. I don't plan on drilling out or monkeying with the governor on my cart. Based on that!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #25
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm glad that the gears and spring meet your needs well and I would not argue that a free governor is a better option for you than your multi-hundred dollar approach. I would also agree that all things being equal a regear is theoretically better for the engine. But your unsubstantiated claim that modding the governor doubles the chance of an engine grenading may mislead someone who doesn't understand that you just made that up. I and many others will stick to the governor mod and use a little common sense, e.g. running synthetic oil and not running our carts at high RPM for a sustained period of time...especially on a golf course.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've run a G9 with no governor all summer since '99 and ran it up to top speed near every day I ran it. I don't run it that fast on roads, or not that far anyway. It all depends on the quality of the engine you have, yamaha G2/9 you can run them that way no problem but I would not recommend if you have a stock cart. With that low gearing there is little load on the engine it may reach higher rpm and not be good for it. I never floor it down a hill so it can get more rpm than it will on flat ground. With my 22s (that have been on it since 99 also) pumped up it will top out at 30gps on flat pavement, and I rarely run it on pavement it loses 2mph on dirt/gravel. Yes I always ran synthetic. Yes, in the last couple years its gotten tired and needs a rebuild I stopped running trails with it. This summer it is starting to burn a little oil. I have a clone in the garage I'm trying to get built for it but other parts of life keep getting in the way. Don't have to work this weekend I might actually get to work on it.

G1 yamaha 2 stroke will run all kinds of rpm. Kawasaki tend to be able to as well as vanguards. Vanguards with a cheap rev kit will run up to 6K rpm reliably. Other lawn/cart engines you better investigate before you do it a lot of them will float the valves someplace over 4K rpm. Some you can put a rev kit in some you need a better rod as well and maybe other things. I'm going to try to get close to 6K from my mostly stock clone, we will see. However most all of them run out of power at 4K or so with a stock cam, You get runout for more speed but they have little power up there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #27
MichaelV
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have installed a Power Kit I purchased from Buggies unlimited. It consisted of one replacement inner sheave, one power spring and one shaft spacer. If I add the speed spring, am I pushing my luck?

MichaelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

No. By modifying the driven clutch sheave and spring you are only changing the rate at which the clutch reaches "high gear", but once high gear (sheaves fully separated) everything functions exactly the sales as before, i.e. no change in top speed or RPM's. Adding the Power Kit is like shifting a manual transmission car at a higher RPM; it improves acceleration but not top speed.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
2008 Yamaha Gas Driver
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought the speed spring for my 2008 Yamaha gas Drive. Huge increase in speed. Estimating 25+ MPH easily. Does not sound like the engine is struggling but it is humming.

Buy the extra bushings along with the spring at CartPartsPlus.com. The best $28 I spent on the golf cart so far. As others have stated, it is a little difficult getting everything aligned to go back on but if I can do it, most people can do it themselves. Love this golf cart now!

BTW, I did not lift it as I put 12" wheels on 215/40/12s on the cart. Incredibly pleased as nothing is going to pass me in this neighborhood!
2008 Yamaha Gas Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #30
Jtgritter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 Yamaha Gas Driver View Post
I bought the speed spring for my 2008 Yamaha gas Drive. Huge increase in speed. Estimating 25+ MPH easily. Does not sound like the engine is struggling but it is humming.

Buy the extra bushings along with the spring at CartPartsPlus.com. The best $28 I spent on the golf cart so far. As others have stated, it is a little difficult getting everything aligned to go back on but if I can do it, most people can do it themselves. Love this golf cart now!

BTW, I did not lift it as I put 12" wheels on 215/40/12s on the cart. Incredibly pleased as nothing is going to pass me in this neighborhood!
I understand this post is a couple years old, but does anyone know what the extra bushings are that he is referring to? I'm about to purchase the speed spring and want to make sure I have everything to make my G29 go a little faster!
Jtgritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha